Christmas Tree When should you put it up?

The traditional habit is to put the tree and decorations up on Christmas Eve, to keep them for the Twelve Days of Christmas, and take them down on Twelfth Night.

I know almost nobody that keeps up that tradition. Modern practice seems to be a competition to see who can put them up earliest.

I personally think it's too early but I know a few people who put theirs up on 1st of Dec. I'm going to wait until around the 17th Dec. Having the decorations up annoys me after the first week, the house never seems to look tidy when there up.

I'm with you there annie, the weekend of the 17th will be soon enough for me!

Some people round here put theirs up last week. When OH's nieces little boy was learning to write a (a few years ago, he's 16 now) she told him that if he wrote his name properly she would put xmas tree up. I went up in Ocober:hihi::hihi::hihi:

It seems a lot are going up earlier than usual this year around here.... I think maybe it's the snow making people feel more Christmassy and also people using their 'snow days' off with the children to get it done.

I would probably put them up the weekend before Christmas myself, I hate fake trees and would want the real one to be fresh.

Archived