70 years ago. 12th December 1940 The Marples was bombed

The famous pub in Fitzalan square was actually named the Market Street Wine Vaults, but later changed its name to London Mart, but to everyone in Sheffield it was known as the Marples after a landlord of the late Victorian era.

About 600 fatalities resulted from air raids on Sheffield, very nearly all of them due to two major attacks in the December of 1940. It was during the first of these (overnight on 12th-13th) that the city centre was worst hit.

At least 70 people were killed by a single bomb that night, as they sheltered in the cellars of the Marples hotel in Fitzalan Square thinking that it was a safe place to be.

It is a sad quirk of fate that the original pub actually stood on the opposite side of Fitzalan Square. Had it not been moved, as many lives may not have been lost.

That's my birthday that 12th December, my nanan used to tell me stories about the old marples, maybe weatherspoons should get hold of it and do it up and name it Marples once again now it's empty.

its empty again? that german motercycle shop dint last long?

Archived