Help! My son is ill in Dubai

My 25 year old son is on his way to Tokyo to work, and has stopped off in Dubai on route. He has just rung to say he feels really ill and doesn't think he can carry on to fly on the last leg of his journey, which leaves at 2.50am, their time, in 6 hours. It is aprox 8pm there at the moment. Can anyone give me any ideas of how I can help him? If he doesn't fly what does he need to do to claim on his insurance? Ie, does he need a doctor to say he isn't fit to fly?

Oh, goodness, you think they are grown up and they can still worry you to death.

My 25 year old son is on his way to Tokyo to work, and has stopped off in Dubai on route. He has just rung to say he feels really ill and doesn't think he can carry on to fly on the last leg of his journey, which leaves at 2.50am, their time, in 6 hours. It is aprox 8pm there at the moment. Can anyone give me any ideas of how I can help him? If he doesn't fly what does he need to do to claim on his insurance? Ie, does he need a doctor to say he isn't fit to fly?

Oh, goodness, you think they are grown up and they can still worry you to death.

I'm no expert hennypenny, but if he's too ill to fly he'll probably require medical attention anyway so the doctor can provide the relevant diagnosis to his insurers. Is there any way you can obtain details of his travel insurers from him? Perhaps you could take over the stress of sorting that for him-it would also help keep you sane whilst you're disconnected from being able to help him directly :)

My best mate was in hospital having an op when we were due to holiday a year or two ago - we couldn't get the tickets refunded and had to pay again for new when she was well enough to go a few months later... If he is really so ill, he will just lose his cash and buy a new ticket when he is well enough... Unless his flight was with a top of the line airline, in which case he might get something back with a hospital note confirming him as being too ill to fly...

I just rang him back (at approx £3 per minute...) and he says he feels a bit better now and thinks he will be best just going for the plane and getting on it. He also says he went into the first hotel he saw as he couldn't walk another step, and he thinks the bill for the day he has spent there will be something along the lines of £300:wow:

He is flying with Emirates, so I think they should be quite good. I told him to go to a doctor, but he doesn't want to have to pay a doctors bill. I am not too sympathetic, I told him he could have been perfectly ill on an airport bench instead of a £300 hotel! Anyway, it is sounding as though he ought to make it, so then I only have to worry about him being ill in Japan on his own :/

There will be no doctors bill, I used to live in Dubai and healthcare is free. Emirates are also probably the best airline for changing or refunding tickets, I missed my plane back to the UK but a quick taxi ride to the office of Emirates in Dubai was all it took to get my ticket changed.

I hope he is ok but there are a lot of worse places to fall ill around the world.

I just rang him back (at approx £3 per minute...) and he says he feels a bit better now and thinks he will be best just going for the plane and getting on it. He also says he went into the first hotel he saw as he couldn't walk another step, and he thinks the bill for the day he has spent there will be something along the lines of £300:wow:

He is flying with Emirates, so I think they should be quite good. I told him to go to a doctor, but he doesn't want to have to pay a doctors bill. I am not too sympathetic, I told him he could have been perfectly ill on an airport bench instead of a £300 hotel! Anyway, it is sounding as though he ought to make it, so then I only have to worry about him being ill in Japan on his own :/

sorry to here he is sick.if he is working in japan surely he'll have work mates to help him won't he..?

I hope he will be fine, once he gets there. His boss is meeting him from the train on Sunday night to show him to his accomodation, but he does have to negotiate the Tokyo subway system which is a nightmare, spaghetti junction has nothing on it.

It is his first ever job, he only got his PhD last month, and as a visiting researcher/professor, arriving coughing and spluttering with a high fever probably isn't the impression he would hope to make on his new boss :/

I am his mum, I am allowed to worry :) I am sure he will be fine really.

I hope he will be fine, once he gets there. His boss is meeting him from the train on Sunday night to show him to his accomodation, but he does have to negotiate the Tokyo subway system which is a nightmare, spaghetti junction has nothing on it.

It is his first ever job, he only got his PhD last month, and as a visiting researcher/professor, arriving coughing and spluttering with a high fever probably isn't the impression he would hope to make on his new boss :/

I am his mum, I am allowed to worry :) I am sure he will be fine really.

Of course he'll be fine and you're right to be concerned.i bet when he gets of the plane and see's tokyo he'll be buzzing..

Archived