Dear pedestrians !!

Yes. The pedestrians are being very selfish indeed. It is audacious of them to use the roads where the the snow has been squashed down by motorists who both pay for the car AND pay car tax to use the road. Get your own snow cleared off the footpaths pedestrians and keep off the low shallow snow on the road that motorists made.

Same applies to cyclists who do not squash down any snow at all.

We could also mention motorists who, when digging their own cars out dump all the snow on the pavement so no pedestrian can use the pavement. This goes on even when said motorist has a huge front garden that could happily accomodate the excess snow. And more often then not it's the same morons who do this who then complain about pedestrians on the road.

Motorists are not exactly innocent when it comes to breathtakingly stupid and selfish behaviour.

We could also mention motorists who, when digging their own cars out dump all the snow on the pavement so no pedestrian can use the pavement. This goes on even when said motorist has a huge front garden that could happily accomodate the excess snow. And more often then not it's the same morons who do this who then complain about pedestrians on the road.

Motorists are not exactly innocent when it comes to breathtakingly stupid and selfish behaviour.

Drove down Hunstone Ave at Meadowhead yesterday and my wife's jaw dropped as she noticed some of the drives that had been dug out in this manner. It was as if some of the home owners had decided to build 4ft high barriers to pedestrians with a clear drive merely a side-effect.

:hihi:

Drove down Hunstone Ave at Meadowhead yesterday and my wife's jaw dropped as she noticed some of the drives that had been dug out in this manner. It was as if some of the home owners had decided to build 4ft high barriers to pedestrians with a clear drive merely a side-effect.

:hihi:

Yep, and then the meltwater in the cleared drive freezes up so you end up with a drive full of sheet ice anyway.

I do think people will learn from that one though and make sure that in future they put grit salt down after they've cleared their drives. It's been a bit of a learning curve for most people this winter.

For goodness sake! Why, the hell doesn't everyone pull together at times like this, accept it is not the norm, bit of give and take on both sides. Yes, snow might get shovelled onto the pavements to clear the road, yes pedestrians might hinder road users - it is not an everyday situation - surely it calls for a bit of consideration on both sides. It is not easy for motorists or pedestrians.

It's near on impossible for a motorist to continue climbing an icy hill once the vehicle as come to a stop. Pedestrians don't have that problem. Pedestrians should have the common sense and decency to step into the edge of the road in the given situation.

With all due respect, you're a pensioner, most probably retired with no reason to drag yourself out of bed at the crack of dawn every morning knowing you have to scape the ice off the car windows then drive whatever amount of miles it is to your place of work simply because you can't afford not to. It's not as though we don't have good reasons Aries:)

Just because l am a pensioner, does not mean that l have not done that for years past. Thats the advantage of being older, been their, done that, got the t shirt.

Just because l am a pensioner, does not mean that l have not done that for years past. Thats the advantage of being older, been their, done that, got the t shirt.
Then you'll understand where I'm coming from Aries. Walking isn't an option for some motorists, more so now than in years past with work becoming more and more scarce.

It is dangerous to walk on the road agreed, but when the snow on the pavement came above my wellies I gave up and took to the road. Solution, get the council to clear the pathways so that folk can use them, but thats a Health and Safety issue isnt it, walking on the roads is a different risk assessment !"

It is dangerous to walk on the road agreed, but when the snow on the pavement came above my wellies I gave up and took to the road. Solution, get the council to clear the pathways so that folk can use them, but thats a Health and Safety issue isnt it, walking on the roads is a different risk assessment !"
By all means walk on the road if you so wish. All I'm saying is pedestrians could show more consideration to motorists when walking down the centre of a slippery road that hasn't been gritted. Especially when a vehicle is clearly struggling to get up it. Just step into the edge, then everyone's happy.

Archived