Anyone experience frozen diesel problems??

Put some unleaded petrol in it at a ratio of 50:1 Diesel:petrol.

I would be very wary of doing this.

At one time, this mix of Petrol/Diesel was a common practice but that was long before modern computerised engines with sensors all over the place... In fact, most modern diesel vehicles have a warning on the filler cap and in the handbook stating that under no circumstances are you to add petrol.

Are you sure the fuel has frozen?

Diesel now has an additive that prevents it freezing up to something like -30oC

I would be more tempted to check the fuel filter as this collects the moisture in the fuel and that could well have frozen up...

But i doubt its the fuel in the tank.

mr squirrel, the mechanic was very certain that the diesels froze up, i have parked it in the garage and put a charger on the battery....

so will check it tomorrow as he was 100% sure it will fire up.

i changed the glow plugs as its been weak to start on cold mornings anyway. So you wouldn't reccommend a bit of petrol in the tank?? i also thought that diesel doesnt freeze as my mates and other family diesel cars have been fine.

mr squirrel, the mechanic was very certain that the diesels froze up, i have parked it in the garage and put a charger on the battery....

so will check it tomorrow as he was 100% sure it will fire up.

i changed the glow plugs as its been weak to start on cold mornings anyway. So you wouldn't reccommend a bit of petrol in the tank?? i also thought that diesel doesnt freeze as my mates and other family diesel cars have been fine.

If your mechanic is certain, then he is probably correct.. its just that in 20odd years of running diesels (and petrols), i have never actually experienced frozen fuel. You must live in a really cold area :D

In days before computerised engine management systems, a bit of petrol in the tank at a mix like Convert says was a common practice but certainly in the last decade or so, all the handbooks etc have really stressed not to add petrol under any circumstances.. Personally, i wouldnt but the risk is up to you.

Having said all this, what kind of car is it anyway?

Archived