Preparing for the next cold snap

I was pleasantly surprised at how well prepared I turned out to be for winter. I always have a good stock of UHT, soups and other such tinned hearty goodness. The only thing that I was caught out by was I hadn't yet bought my slip on shoe spike thingies. I had that pencilled in my diary to buy this week, but of course it all came early. Luckily they hadn't suddenly sold out and arrived promptly. I thoroughly recommend them for the misery of walking on icy pavements. Now I have everything I need. Bring it on.

Where do you get those? I need to buy some for Zoe! :)

Where do you get those? I need to buy some for Zoe! :)

I bought Get-A-Grips from Amazon but I didn't shop around, there'll be several online places that do them, I even know of someone who bought them from QVC! I don't know which, if any real shops in Sheffield sell them. I just looked up on Amazon and they've gone, probably sold out, though they have some other brands. Yaktraks are supposed to be good. The only problem is to buy a size large enough for wintry footwear. I bought extra large which was perfect for size 6 walking boots for instance. It's deceptive.

I bought Get-A-Grips from Amazon but I didn't shop around, there'll be several online places that do them, I even know of someone who bought them from QVC! I don't know which, if any real shops in Sheffield sell them. I just looked up on Amazon and they've gone, probably sold out, though they have some other brands. Yaktraks are supposed to be good. The only problem is to buy a size large enough for wintry footwear. I bought extra large which was perfect for size 6 walking boots for instance. It's deceptive.

I bought mine (SnowTrax) from Costco. cost £11 for 2 pairs.

BTW taking my mothers advise, making sure a loaf of bread is kept in the freezer just in case we run out.

It's strange really, it feels like we have had every possible niche requirement provided for as consumers for years, but having grippy things to put on our shoes when it's icy seems to be very recent. Once I used mine I wondered why on earth we didn't all have such things years ago?

It's strange really, it feels like we have had every possible niche requirement provided for as consumers for years, but having grippy things to put on our shoes when it's icy seems to be very recent. Once I used mine I wondered why on earth we didn't all have such things years ago?

Funnily enough, I had a conversation with an old lady the other day as we shared the fencing that we were holding on to to walk to the shops with, and she told me that in the Elizabethan days, they did indeed have something similar. They had blocks of wood with spikes in that they fastened onto their feet, over their shoes. I said well there you go, that's progress for you, we could do with bringing them back now. Yes she said and then we could sell them on e.bay.......This last comment made me laugh so much I almost fell over.....well.......she was about 90 :hihi:

Archived