Fat/large/obese/big/unhealthy in. mcdonalds

Why should the government be responsible for how much fat people eat? The government doesn't see what fat people see in the mirror every day, and it doesn't eat the pies.

If the 'Obesity' workers don't actually do anything, then why not simply make them all redundant?

Every year I have to have a checkup with my GP (I have to do this or I don't get my prescription), I'm made to get on the scales, and the person I'm seeing looks at the graph and says............"according to my graph, you are .....on my BMI chart"

"Ok, what does that mean?" I will ask

"It means, if you are this on my BMI chart, you are likely to get diabetes and all these other illnesses" says the health worker

"What do you advise?" I asked

"Be careful with what you eat and excercise" said the health worker

"So what happens is 20 years time when I'm in my 50s and I physically not train to the extent that I do now - what will I do then?"

The health worker simply could not come up with any answer. Every year I have to have one of these pointless health checkups, or they won't give me my prescription

So if they cannot come up with a solution, what use are they?

In many cases, obesity is caused by an individuals actions, however for some people they are naturally large.

For example, most rugby players have very high BMI, but are also frighteningly fit.

As people get older, its harder to train. Someone at 45 years old, is unlikely to have the energy levels they had at the age of 19, so will become heavier simply because they cannot train to the level needed to loose weight.

Before people say try walking, walking will simply not have any effect. Again, with the example of a rugby player, an ex player aged around 45, due to the level of activity there body is used to (from their playing days) simply walking to and from the newsagents (perhaps a distance of 1 mile) will barely even register as an activity

Sorry to disagree with you but, apart from swimming, walking is the finest exercise you can do, both to lose weight and to get fit.

A lot of good advice will be rendered useless if people act on what you've said.

A do agree that a one mile walk will bring very slow and small, but still useful, benefits but anyone seeking to lose weight or to get much fitter will have good results through walking although you do have to give it chance to speed up your metabolism.

The best way, for someone who is overweight or very unfit, is to start off with short walks and gradually build up to a greater distance and a faster speed - your pulse rate is the best guide to follow (plenty of websites to give info on this - it varies according to age & fitness level.

Anything over 30 minutes a day will bring good results - one hour a day will be much more effective.

If the 'Obesity' workers don't actually do anything, then why not simply make them all redundant?

Every year I have to have a checkup with my GP (I have to do this or I don't get my prescription), I'm made to get on the scales, and the person I'm seeing looks at the graph and says............"according to my graph, you are .....on my BMI chart"

"It means, if you are this on my BMI chart, you are likely to get diabetes and all these other illnesses" says the health worker

"So what happens is 20 years time when I'm in my 50s and I physically not train to the extent that I do now - what will I do then?"

The health worker simply could not come up with any answer. Every year I have to have one of these pointless health checkups, or they won't give me my prescription

Why does somebody else have to be responsible for telling you how to run your life?

Why can you take responsibility for your physical condition and do something about it yourself?

As you reduce your activity level (due to getting older maybe) reduce your calorific intake. That's why the advice about eating carefully and doing exercise is linked.

What do you want them to do, draw you a dietary plan?

You can't just advice everyone to walk more, but equally walking burns calories and so it's never going to be pointless. The advice needs to be relevant for the person it's being given to. Why would a 45 year old ex rugby player need advice, they probably no more about how to exercise for any specific reason than a GP.

I dont wish to cause any offence but surely these people eating in mcdonalds is like a pub serving a drunk more beer its not right and its not healthy. . I went to a local mcdonalds recently and saw a family. man 25stone wife 25stone and two teenage kids both on there way to 20stone. They parked there car with it disabled badges in the disabled bay and proceeded to all tuck into 46quids worth of food 46Pounds on mcdonalds. . They wernt disabled they were just fat and greedy and its about time they were banned. Who wants to buy something to eat and have to sit and look at them ramming there already massive bodys with yet more food. Its the same as watching a drunk drink thereselves to death. I dont wish to upset anyone but does anyone else get annoyed by the same things

..?

If thine eye offends thee.....

fatcist!:hihi:

I dont wish to cause any offence but surely these people eating in mcdonalds is like a pub serving a drunk more beer its not right and its not healthy. . I went to a local mcdonalds recently and saw a family. man 25stone wife 25stone and two teenage kids both on there way to 20stone. They parked there car with it disabled badges in the disabled bay and proceeded to all tuck into 46quids worth of food 46Pounds on mcdonalds. . They wernt disabled they were just fat and greedy and its about time they were banned. Who wants to buy something to eat and have to sit and look at them ramming there already massive bodys with yet more food. Its the same as watching a drunk drink thereselves to death. I dont wish to upset anyone but does anyone else get annoyed by the same things

..?

Whats my Girlfriends excuse?? size 6 and lives on that junk.

As you reduce your activity level (due to getting older maybe) reduce your calorific intake. That's why the advice about eating carefully and doing exercise is linked.

What do you want them to do, draw you a dietary plan?

How would they reduce calories if they're addicted to food?

You can't walk up to a smoker, or an alcoholic and ask them to reduce their addiction.

Sorry to disagree with you but, apart from swimming, walking is the finest exercise you can do, both to lose weight and to get fit.

For someone who has never done any excercise, then walking is greats as at least the person is burning off more calories than they did before.

For someone who has in the past trained/competed to a very high level, or has done a high impact sport in their younger days, then a gentle stroll will have little or no effect.

Archived