Fat/large/obese/big/unhealthy in. mcdonalds

I don't have a problem at all with anyone being overweight but don't see that pointing out their BMI is "bullying".

Overweight people get victimised in a terrible way.

These people are fair game simply because they do not fall into any PC Category such as racism, homophobia etc.... and so have little or no protection. Overweight people get ripped to pieces

People/children get told they are overweight due to their BMi (there was a healthy 5 year old a couple of years back - can't be bothered to find the link). This stuff leads to eating disorders

On this point I disagree with you. In some cases people do make themselves overweight, however for some people they are a naturally large build and can do very little to change that

We aren't talking about a but on the large side, no one has an obese build, few people have a medical excuse, most just easy to much and exercise to little.

I agree with you on this post (at last some common ground).

My issue on the walking is this. I do keep using Rugby players as an example, simply because many are very heavily built, but frighteningly fit. With Rugby players, they are charging around for 90 minutes, being tackled by 18 stone blokes running at them knocking them over etc...... I don't care what anyone says, to do that for 90 minutes you have to be fit.

The training these athletes needs, again not easy. So, to say go Ppfor a walk. or a gentle swim to someone, whos body is used to extreme training is silly. Going for a walk for this kind of person is not even going to register.

Its like giving a heavy drinker, a glass of shandy.

Ir was ex rugby players before... Are we talking about an ex rugby player who needs to loose weight? Our a current player who doesn't?

Either way, walking burns some calories, which if they aren't doing anything else active is a start.

We aren't talking about a but on the large side, no one has an obese build, few people have a medical excuse, most just easy to much and exercise to little.

Yes they do, some people are natuarally large, some naturally slim.

With regards the large people, they often fall into two categorys.

1) large, with very poor fitness levels

These people are naturally, weak, slower and as a result of this get terribly victimised from childhood. Its much harder for this group of people to do any excercise, as they are prone to getting injured easily. Sadly for them, they do struggle with any kind of physical activity

They have very low levels of confidence, due to the way people taunt them. Remember at school, when teams were being picked? do you remember who was always last to be picked? can you imagine how that feels?

2) Large, with very high fitness levels

I keep using Rugby players as an example, these are perhaps the best example. Also, if you look at clubs such as Mixed Martial Arts, Judo, Submission Wrestling etc....you get the burly types attending these classes.

These people are simply machines, they are strong, fast and their cardios are never ending. I once trained against someone who was 'britians strongest man' and he also was a competitor on the 'worlds strongest man. This bloke at 5ft 5 and 19 stones, was literally a wall of solid muscle, he was fast, agile and never got worn out.

For this kind of person, simply going for a walk will be completely ineffective.

So, I disagree some people are naturally large, and thats the way they are

These people are naturally, weak, slower and as a result of this get terribly victimised from childhood. Its much harder for this group of people to do any excercise, as they are prone to getting injured easily. Sadly for them, they do struggle with any kind of physical activity

They have very low levels of confidence, due to the way people taunt them. Remember at school, when teams were being picked? do you remember who was always last to be picked? can you imagine how that feels?

I keep using Rugby players as an example, these are perhaps the best example. Also, if you look at clubs such as Mixed Martial Arts, Judo, Submission Wrestling etc....you get the burly types attending these classes.

These people are simply machines, they are strong, fast and their cardios are never ending. I once trained against someone who was 'britians strongest man' and he also was a competitor on the 'worlds strongest man' (you may have heard of him Andrew 'stumpy' Raynes). This bloke at 5ft 5 and 19 stones, was literally a wall of solid muscle, he was fast, agile and never got worn out.

For this kind of person, simply going for a walk will be completely ineffective.

I understand what you are saying and agree that people such as this may find it hard to loose much weight by walking - these people though, as I said, are very few and far between - the majority (meaning almost all) of obese people can walk as I described, and lose weight easily.

For the super fit, if they carry excess fat, it's still possible to loose weight easily using exercise bike or swimming (hard lane swimming - not messing about) so there is still no excuse for their condition.

People shouldn't mock them and I certainly wouldn't but, if they want to escape this predicament, they have to be willing to put the work in.

Many overweight people would sooner make excuses than put some effort into it - they need to change this approach.

It sounds like a good excuse, but you've just classified the majority of over weight people as weak, slow and easily injured. When in reality they just eat too much and exercise to little.

I should see these people, what with me attending between 3 and 5 martial arts classes a week. Some people at Judo are a bit on the large side, others are pretty slim. The large ones, if you ask them, would say that they eat a little bit too much and could really do with doing some more CV work in the gym...

These people are simply machines, they are strong, fast and their cardios are never ending.

I've never seen anyone like this at a Judo class. The ones with incredible CV and good strength also happen to carry no excess fat!

I once trained against someone who was 'britians strongest man' and he also was a competitor on the 'worlds strongest man. This bloke at 5ft 5 and 19 stones, was literally a wall of solid muscle, he was fast, agile and never got worn out.

Ineffective at achieving what? It will burn some calories. It won't cause the guy to loose weight, but since he's actively training no one would expect a small change to achieve very much.

Referring back to the OP, I don't suppose you'd find this guy in McDonalds looking like a blob of lard and stuffing his face either. You keep looking for a reason that someone who is overweight shouldn't be told to walk more, but the only reason you can find is that they might actually be a rugby player or power lifter who isn't actually overweight!

Archived