NSPCC & Facebook

It apparently originated in Greece last month, when someone decided to start a meme to raise awareness about child abuse issues by getting you to recall something happy from your own childhood. It went globally viral over the past week, and was adapted to mention child support charities relative to the countries people were in.

It is an awareness meme - and as pointed out, even though NSPCC didn't start it, they are happy with the extra attention it has brought them. At least, unlike other chain status updates, it doesn't get you to click on a link or anything else - it just gets you to think about a childhood memory, and then maybe...just maybe...you will think about those who will not have such memories.

Besides, it took me ages to pick out my character and I enjoyed doing it.

I was going to go with an old favourite of mine, Freakazoid, but reaslied I was at university when that came out so wasn't really a childhood memory :)

So, Alias the Jester it is then :)

its a bit of fun, no one forces you to do it, it's interesting what people choose to have as their picture.

theres always some people who have to be down on everything.

it always amazes me how global things like this on facebook become, like the rage single last year. i think its a way of getting people to think about the same thing, and it maight make the NSPCC just stick in your head next time you feel charitable.

it is harmless and i dont kow why some people complain about it, either do it, or ignore it.

It is an awareness meme - and as pointed out, even though NSPCC didn't start it, they are happy with the extra attention it has brought them. At least, unlike other chain status updates, it doesn't get you to click on a link or anything else - it just gets you to think about a childhood memory, and then maybe...just maybe...you will think about those who will not have such memories.
Exactly. It doesnt do any harm. You know, a bit like having an avatar on here. :roll:

Why am I not surprised that half of the people who post on her under anonymous names (to hide behind mean, nasty and down right ridiculous opinions) have an issue about a harmless bit of fun on face book.

So what a couple of people want to change their picture it isn't hurting anyone.

You only have to think about the evil T*&% who has been on the news this week after killing a little boy (most of the evidence which convicted him was on his mobile which had been named from various torture he had inflicted on a little boy).

Not everyone can donate money or time so raising awareness is there way of contributing and saying it needs to stop.

I am not saying anything will come of it but if some evil scumbag who is abusing a child see that all of his/her friends on fb are behind this sort of campaign it may make them think twice and some poor child will be left alone for a couple of days.

It won't make any difference however if it can make people aware it is doing something right.

Archived