NSPCC & Facebook

I have said this since it started, if you want to help these children, then make a donation to the charity???

Money is ok but how much of this money really really goes to helping a child, how much do you think is spent on advertising for NSPCC etc. Also people may be unable to part with money because a pound here or a pound there soon mounts up if you dont have that kind of money. So the next best thing is to simply raising awareness it costs no money to individuals and also for the NSPCC its free advertising/campaigning so more money could be given to help a child.

nobody is "whinging" about it on facebook, just in this thread :|

Which provides lovely free advertising for the NSPCC.

It is a winner.

Oh my goodness, the negativity on here is astounding. There is absolutely nothing wrong with raising awareness of a charity, however it is done. Why on earth are some of you telling people to "get a life"? I donate monthly to the NSPCC and have done for 8 years; I have also changed my profile picture. It is creating discussions and may prompt somebody to confide in somebody else, etc. I wish people could have something positive to say about these things but it seems that everyone just likes to comment on how rubbish things are and how people should get a life. Dear me, what a shame!

Oh my goodness, the negativity on here is astounding. There is absolutely nothing wrong with raising awareness of a charity, however it is done. Why on earth are some of you telling people to "get a life"? I donate monthly to the NSPCC and have done for 8 years; I have also changed my profile picture. It is creating discussions and may prompt somebody to confide in somebody else, etc. I wish people could have something positive to say about these things but it seems that everyone just likes to comment on how rubbish things are and how people should get a life. Dear me, what a shame!

Whilst anything that raises the profile of a charitable organisation is commendable, fads like these also encourage people to be totally superficial in their approach to benevolent causes. It concerns me that a lot of this is simply online posturing – a way of expressing ones good will to the wider public while not actually doing anything to help in a real and meaningful way. Online medium – specifically Facebook – allows people to appear charitable rather than actually be charitable, which is a very important difference.

If you are going to follow up this empty gesture by donating or even volunteering, then good on you. If you are simply doing it because you feel obliged, or to make a self righteous gesture of moral superiority, then it probably isn’t worth bothering in the first place.

If you are going to follow up this empty gesture by donating or even volunteering, then good on you. If you are simply doing it because you feel obliged, or to make a self righteous gesture of moral superiority, then it probably isn’t worth bothering in the first place.

The people who do it just to appear like they care, whilst not doing anything, will do that anyway in other ways. They will discuss on forums, or with friends about how sickening it is that abuse occurs, and how (insert case reported in press here) should not have been missed - but will then sit back, put Eastenders on, and forget about anything they said.

It's sad in a way that some people think that just by saying they agree with something, they think that is their job done.

I would love to think that all those who changed their profile pics this weekend would even make a donation - maybe not to the NSPCC, but to any other support organisation for children. I would also love to think that all the people being negative about the facebook meme would do the same - but I doubt that would happen either.

i have a friend on fb who is complaining that everyone is changing their pictures, telling everyone to get a life and that it wont do anything to help abused children.

My staus currently reads 'loves how everyone is changing their profile pictures - raising awareness of something that you have never experienced and hopefully your children will never experience is a wonderful thing - well done everyone '

I dont mean it to be patronising but for people to support (in however an insignificant way) a cause that they have no direct experience off is wonderful.

Archived