NSPCC & Facebook

Whilst anything that raises the profile of a charitable organisation is commendable, fads like these also encourage people to be totally superficial in their approach to benevolent causes. It concerns me that a lot of this is simply online posturing – a way of expressing ones good will to the wider public while not actually doing anything to help in a real and meaningful way. Online medium – specifically Facebook – allows people to appear charitable rather than actually be charitable, which is a very important difference.

If you are going to follow up this empty gesture by donating or even volunteering, then good on you. If you are simply doing it because you feel obliged, or to make a self righteous gesture of moral superiority, then it probably isn’t worth bothering in the first place.

Even so, it's been said before, it provides loads of free advertising for NSPCC. And even if one FB user makes a donation, then NSPCC are better off than they were before.

It's certainly not going to make people not donate.

If you are going to follow up this empty gesture by donating or even volunteering, then good on you. If you are simply doing it because you feel obliged, or to make a self righteous gesture of moral superiority, then it probably isn’t worth bothering in the first place.

What if I just fancied the idea of having Captain Caveman as my profile picture for a few days?

Oh my goodness, the negativity on here is astounding. There is absolutely nothing wrong with raising awareness of a charity, however it is done. Why on earth are some of you telling people to "get a life"? I donate monthly to the NSPCC and have done for 8 years; I have also changed my profile picture. It is creating discussions and may prompt somebody to confide in somebody else, etc. I wish people could have something positive to say about these things but it seems that everyone just likes to comment on how rubbish things are and how people should get a life. Dear me, what a shame!

I was saying 'get a life' to the people complaining about those changing their pictures and raising awareness. Sorry if that wasn't clear :)

Whilst anything that raises the profile of a charitable organisation is commendable, fads like these also encourage people to be totally superficial in their approach to benevolent causes.

Do they though? I dont think theres any evidence for that.

Perhaps they expose people who are totally superficial but I dont think they cause them to be like that. People who are uncharitable are like that anyway.

Many of the people on my facebook who have changed their profile pictures are also people who've asked me for sponsorship for this or that in the past year or sponsored me in my efforts.

Surely the campaign will get people thinking and talking about child abuse and how they can help to stop it, it can only be a positive thing.

Will be interesting to see if the reporting rate rises.....even if only one person is encouraged to report then it's worth it.

The fact that you have posted on here shows it having some effect :)

Having known people who commit such acts, things like this which raise debate, just help them perfect their cover stories better.

And yes, I made that call, not that they did anything, I was told to ring Social Services!

I was saying 'get a life' to the people complaining about those changing their pictures and raising awareness. Sorry if that wasn't clear :)

I read it that way too, K. Sorry for thinking you a <masked swearing removed to save mods a job>.

Now the debate is in full swing, I believe it is time to introduce the point you all seem to have missed - the true travesty arising from this "campaign".

I have seen people who have chosen Bagpuss, Andy Pandy, Miss Piggy and the Flowerpot Men as their profile pictures.

Do these people not realise they are just playing right into the hands of the child abusers because THEY ARE NOT CARTOONS!

Archived