What happened to community spirit? Help in the snow?

I have looked for a similar thread, but there isn't one since the batch of snow in January..

I've lived in my current area for almost 3 years now, and was brought up in the same postcode area. I remember being young and when it snowed all of the neighbours being out, young and old and shovelling snow.

On Wednesday morning, me and the other half tried in vain to get the car out onto the main road and ended up getting it stuck at the other side of the parking area behind the flats where we live. A neighbour did try and give us a push, and we shovelled and scraped snow, but it was in vain so we decided to leave the car there and try again as the snow just kept on coming.

I tried again on Wednesday while the fella was at work, and with even more snow, I really struggled.

Anyway, after missing a works meal out Thursday in the midlands (had I been able to get the car out then I could have gone), and the fella walking to and from work for 2 days, and me working at home- I decided to go out and start trying to clear at least around my car and a path that everyone else could help.

I was trying to move the car and this man around 50 years old, walked by with his dog and said "Got a reght job there love". I just said in quite a cheery manner "I know, it's not going to be easy.... but if everyone in the flats came out to help, then it'd get done much quicker. What happened to community spirit, it doesn't seem to exist anymore ". He just snorted and walked off. Thing is, I would be quite willing to pick up essentials for any elderley people who needed it.

2 young lads (about 23) were clearing s space to get their Mazda in and came over and asked if I wanted some help, they helped clear the snow that had accumulated around my car. Then another neighbour came out (he's about 26) and all 4 of us got spades and sweeping brushes and cleared a huge path for everyone to get out.

It took us almost 3 hours to do.

As a result,my back is killing.

What amazed me, is that whilst we were doing this, we saw 3 neighbours watching us through the window. 1 even laughed at us, and stood shaking his head.

I am aware that about 30% of people are elderly or have a disability, but I wouldn't have expected them to get out and help. I am just surprised that the able bodied people found it too much like hard work to get out there with us and pitch in.

I had no qualms about going and picking up essentials if neighbours struggle and can't get out of their residencies. But I am shocked at the mans attitude and the way nobody thought by pitching in we could get it done.

Also, noticed how it was the "young ones" who did all of the work....

Has anyone had troubles working hard to get snow cleared, or have you get stories of great community spirit to share with us? This might help to restore my faith in human nature!

What amazed me, is that whilst we were doing this, we saw 3 neighbours watching us through the window. 1 even laughed at us, and stood shaking his head.

There are plenty on here that would laugh at you and then park in the space you have made (after all they have paid their road tax) unfortunately that’s the way it is.

There are plenty on here that would laugh at you and then park in the space you have made, after all they have paid their road tax, unfortunately that’s the way it is.

Yes, the neighbour who asked if we wanted a hand, pulled straight into the space I had cleared for my car, even though he has a 4x 4 lol

I spent four hours digging out my drive and much of the road only to be obstructed by a neighbour's son's car parking opposite both mine and the next door neighbour's driveway. I pointed out to him that it did make things rather difficult for us to access our drives, given the slippery conditions. He said there was nowhere else to park it. For once I was speechless. He had an empty driveway, full of snow! I hope he feels good about himself. A stropping lad watching a woman more than twice his age dig not only her driveway, but the road as well making his access easier too!!

Times like this it shows what kind of neighbourly community you have. I have been fortunate that my neighbours have been really good & even passers by helping out & vice verca.

I have a lot of elderly neighbours where I live. Myself & a few other neighbours have got together by doing their daily shopping for what they need, collecting their medication from the chemist & getting their paper for them every morning since the snow started hence slipping on my arse a few times which is funny looking back on now. I would not have it any other way. Times like this it is important for us all to come together & help if we can.

Our road was left by the council even though it is quite busy, the whole length of it was cleared by those who lived on it, I helped somebody's car out, they helped me clear my drive.

As I walked to the shop in the middle of the road (On the worst day of the snow when there was zero traffic), people who I'd never seen in my life before were saying 'Alright'.

It depends where you live, and how you treat your neighbours, you get back what you put in, and whilst people on other roads around us are all parking at the bottom of the road, on the main road and having their cars broken into because none of them could be arsed to pull together and dig their road out, we're all driving up and down no problems at all.

I've had plenty of people grumble about the council to me whilst I've been shovelling snow out of the road, but my stock answer is that the gritters can't get past the abandoned cars, and it'd be easier if others rolled their sleeves up too

To be fair, there's been more of people helping each other out this year than previous years

I like the idea of snow wardens. It puts a completely different focus on the whole 'they' (who?), and 'them and us' picture people have in their heads

BTW - that twerp blocking the drive. I'd have taken great pleasure in moving the snow from the pavement to infront and behind, and alongside his car, at least 3 feet deep :hihi:

Community spirit..Haha! The population's morals, ethics and general behaviour has deteriorated since the 70's. We no longer care what happens to our neighbours, locked up behind our own doors caring only for materialistic items, wealth and wellbeing. People wont let their kids out now, incase their little darlings slip in the snow. The `Blitz` spirit is dead..along with the people who were there.

Archived