Sheffield best real ale pubs

valleytyke

My understanding is that the B R A is the Gay and Lesbian branch of the CAMRA.

Is this true, and if so, when is the next meeting, as I'd like to attend.

Tomorrow night in this little pub halfway up Kinderscout. Be there by 9pm.

A small list of places to check out

Sheaf View

The Wellington

Fat Cat

Kelham Island Tavern

The Harlequin

Gardeners Rest

Hillsborough Hotel

New Barrack Tavern

Rising Sun

Ranmoor Inn

Fox & Duck

University Arms

Red Deer

Trippetts

Bath Hotel

Devonshire Cat

Henry's

Rutland Arms

Sheffield Tap

Please note that this list is not exhaustive. There are plenty of other places selling great beer.

Shame that so few of them could really be classed as "locals".

What is it with many real ale drinkers that they're happy with a real ale ghetto but seem to avoid their locals like the plague?

What is it with many real ale drinkers that they're happy with a real ale ghetto but seem to avoid their locals like the plague?

The Sheaf View is a proper local IMHO.

Yes real ale drinkers are known to travel some distance for their beer but this is one area where Sheffield's superb reputation does bring home the bacon in terms of beer enthusiasts from far and wide.

On a visit to London last month I attended a Dark Star meet the brewer evening and when people found out where I was from I had lots of people asking about the Sheffield Tap, Coach & Horses, Kelham Island, Thornbridge Brewery, the Beertickers film and so on. Sheffield does have a reputation for being the best place in the country for quality beer.

The Coach & Horses is a fantastic pub. It has 6 Thonbridge beers on at any time as well as locally brewed lager... not to mention its own football club who played Inter Milan a couple of years ago (lost 4-2)

As the football club is Sheffield FC (the world's oldest football club) the C&H is worth a visit even without being the tap pub for Thornbridge.

Hopefully the new landlord can keep up the same standards that Cat & Kel did. Their beer festival this year was truly outstanding.

Well my "local" is The Florist.....and it's a bag of toss. So I go to proper pubs instead that serve a wide range of different ales at reasonable prices.

Well my "local" is The Florist.....and it's a bag of toss. So I go to proper pubs instead that serve a wide range of different ales at reasonable prices.

Since when did "proper" pubs serve a wide range of ales?

Back in the day the Rose used to serve good hand pulled Stones, Cottage and Palm good Tetleys. And did the "real ale" drinkers support their local - no - they went to the latest place that sold summat new.

I've been sold so much flat garbage in the KIT (but told "that's how the brewery recommend it" - ie we can't be arsed but most real ale drinkers will sup owt out of hand pumps) in the company of beer tickers.

Keep the campaign for a decent pint going in local communities.

Trouble is the Stones,Smiths and rest of beer the so called locals serve is absolute crap,Fox at Beighton must be 500yds from my house and you can get their so called ale at £1.80 but havn't been in for 3 years cos its dross,would rather travel and enjoy the beer.

Archived