Sheffield best real ale pubs

valleytyke

Since when did "proper" pubs serve a wide range of ales?

Back in the day the Rose used to serve good hand pulled Stones, Cottage and Palm good Tetleys. And did the "real ale" drinkers support their local - no - they went to the latest place that sold summat new.

I've been sold so much flat garbage in the KIT (but told "that's how the brewery recommend it" - ie we can't be arsed but most real ale drinkers will sup owt out of hand pumps) in the company of beer tickers.

Keep the campaign for a decent pint going in local communities.

I couldn't agree more. I was quite happy when there was one decent pint in each pub (if you were lucky) and they pulled loads of it through so it was always spot on. In West Yorks they used to serve marvellous Tetley's (which no longer exists), round here it was (occasionally) a nice pint of Stones (also long gone). Or two breweries I used to like were Shipstone's and Home both from Nottm.

Now I look at the pump and it describes a beer from 'somewhere South' (let's say Ruddle's Bitter for example) and I wonder whether this is progress? It's nice, but I miss the connection between the region and the beer. I'm happy to drink southern beer in its homeland but do I want it here rather than a local brew?

Archived