Do you think there will be an increase in the sales of 4x4s in 2011

4x4s leave a bigger footprint on the environment than other vehicles and can intimidate pedestrians, cyclists and other road users. They are taking up space in town centres where there is precious little room for these giants of the road.

Because SUVs are generally heavier than conventional cars, they need bigger engines, which tend to produce more carbon dioxide.

According to a study by the US Insurance Institute for Highway Safety there are many more deaths from crashes involving SUVs than in any other vehicles.

"For all crashes between cars and pickups or cars and SUVs, people in cars are about four times more likely to die than people inside pickups or SUVs," the report concludes.

"When pickups or SUVs strike cars in the side, the risk of death for car occupants relative to the risk of the pickup or SUV occupants dying is 27 to 1."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4043959.stm

At the end of the day It's all down to ego and status.

So you buy a massive 4x4 just on the off chance that you may need to tow someone in the future.

So if you don't go offroad why do you need a 4x4?

not at all, i tow a trailer myself regularly, if you bothered to read the posts. why would i buy a vehicle on the off chance i might give someone a tow at some point in the future:loopy::huh:

edited to add, you also presume a lot for someone who knows little. i bought a mid sized 4x4, just big enough to tow the weight in my trailer, so presume away in your own mind.

I drive a 4x4 twin cab so that in weather like this, I can still get to YOUR house to repair whatever it is you can fix yourself.

If it wasn't for these vehicles, come the bad weather, this country would totally grind to a halt.

After the worst winter snow falls in 2010, and yet possibly more to come, will you be buying a 4x4 in 2011. :help:

I have a little saloon car, which is very limited in the snow, and have always said, the roads are usually open after a couple of days of heavy snow fall, yet again more icy roads other than snow, seem to be making travel more difficult.

I usually catch the bus when it snows, and to be honest, find it a good little service. However this year with my little daughter things were a little more hectic, with shopping, meetings and other activities. So is it worth buying a

2nd hand 4x4.

Personally I think there will be an increase in these types of vehicle's.

The other thing, is that people seem to wait for the gritter's to come around their roads, and don't get stuck in to assist the rest of the neighbours helping to clear the roads. (Is it a given right that the Council clear the roads although conditions dictate otherwise.:o

Even the gritter's can't always make it, so if you were to buy a 4x4 what do you think the best 4x4 is in the snow

All answers really appreciated.

Take care

Unless you live in the country there is no reason to drive a large 4x4. If you are one of those sad (but smug at the moment) gits who drive one of those massive mitsubishi animal type trucks, you are a t**t, an absloute t**t!! And you look ridiculous!!

LARGE 4x4 vehicles that are growing in popularity on UK roads have been exposed as more than twice as lethal to pedestrians than normal cars.

Authoritative new research by US scientists shows that when the high-fronted, wide-bodied vehicles, also known as SUVs (sports utility vehicles), crash into children or adults they are far more likely to cause head and chest injuries, and these are much more likely to be fatal.

Dozens of children in the US are also run over and killed every year by large vehicles reversing. The accidents often happen in their own driveways, and the drivers are often their own parents or carers.

http://www.robedwards.com/2003/12/4x4s_more_than_.html

Ordinary cars, whose profiles are lower and less blunt, tend to cause more leg and lower body injuries which are less life-threatening, and they have lower blind spots when reversing.

The results clearly showed that the larger and more blunt-fronted the vehicle was, the more likely it was to kill.

So while 4.5% of pedestrians struck by a car died, the figure rose to 7.8% when they were hit by a small SUV, and 11.5% when hit by a large one. “Pedestrians struck by large SUVs are twice as likely to die as pedestrians struck by cars,” Gabler and Lefler concluded in a study published in the journal, Accident Analysis & Prevention, and reported by New Scientist.

When they further analysed the data, they found that the types of injuries inflicted by SUVs and other large vehicles were more likely to be fatal.

Gabler said his study was the first to quantify the increased risk of death to pedestrians from SUVs and other large vehicles, though he stressed it was not their size or weight that mattered, so much as their shape. “The more geometrically blunt they are, the greater the fatality risk,” he said.

What I'd like to know is, is it the 4wd, the off road or the image that attracts you pro 4x4s?

If it's the 4wd I can understand that.

If it's off road I can't understand it in 95% of the owners.

If it's image, that would be the most honest reason.

you are showing your ignorance in every post. people who tow trailers/farm equipment or whatever need a stable large weight tow vehicle. it just so happens that most cars able to tow sufficient weight also have 4x4 drive. no need for offroad, no status symbol, bought to do a job. wise up.

Unless you live in the country there is no reason to drive a large 4x4. If you are one of those sad (but smug at the moment) gits who drive one of those massive mitsubishi animal type trucks, you are a t**t, an absloute t**t!! And you look ridiculous!!

I drive a truck.

Its my work vehicle, family car and tow car for our caravan.

Would you prefer it if I owned 3 vehicles? :loopy::loopy:

Bonzo?, BOZO more like.

do a bit of reading on safe towing, and vehicle mass. you'll find that an average 4x4 (which fits most parking spots!) will tow 1700kg up. most hatchbacks and estates wont do so, hence people purchase 4x4s for a valid reason which isnt offroading or posing as many of you with little knowledge claim.

I drive a truck.

Its my work vehicle, family car and tow car for our caravan.

Would you prefer it if I owned 3 vehicles? :loopy::loopy:

Bonzo?, BOZO more like.

OK, I forgot to mention those special people who think caravaning is a holiday!

You still look like a nonce driving one of those things in my opinion!

OK, I forgot to mention those special people who think caravaning is a holiday!

You still look like a nonce driving one of those things in my opinion!

So would you prefer it if I sold the truck and bought a van for work, a Ford Focus for the family car? Oh, I still need to tow the caravan (which my children love going away in for family holidays).

Maybe crawl out from under your rock, find a wife, have a family, realise that your an idiot and get a life.

:roll:

Archived