Do you think there will be an increase in the sales of 4x4s in 2011

without a shadow of a doubt the best 4x4 full stop is the landrover defender

Having owned one among a variety of other 4x4's I can assure you that it is far from being the best unless you have weird masochistic tendencies.

I posted on the other 4x4 thread about our Hyundai santa fe 4x4. its got proper 4wd plus torque biasing and is really good in snow and ice, not got stuck anywhere. it also does 30mpg in town (diesel) all year round and 47mpg on a run, plus 35mpg towing. it will tow 2 tonnes without any probs.

£5k will get you a minter with 60-80k on the clock. £215 tax, so not too bad, dirt cheap insurance ( fc £228 for 2 people 10k miles p.a).

loads of room in it for 4 people plus shopping, reliable (won JD power reliability survey back in 2004/05 i believe). dont appear to rust, nice spec (elec sunroof, cd, air con etc). not widely know of hence bargain price, were only £17k brand new in 2004.

Do you think there will be an increase in the sales of 4x4s in 20011

If there is there should be a massive increase in tax on these antisocial space taking gas guzzlers.

the old land rover 90s have the same engine as a black cab n/a diesel so up tax on them? landrovers have the same size engine as stuff like transit vans (even drive like one :hihi:) ect. . and i dont hear anyone complaining about upping tax on them,mind you,people will be moaning then when all prices go up for couriers/man with a van ect. . to cover there costs

Do you think there will be an increase in the sales of 4x4s in 20011

If there is there should be a massive increase in tax on these antisocial space taking gas guzzlers.

space isnt an issue they all fit the same roads. ours does 47mpg on a run and 30 in town so its never been a gas guzzler, hence the £215 tax.

space isnt an issue they all fit the same roads. ours does 47mpg on a run and 30 in town so its never been a gas guzzler, hence the £215 tax.

spot on :thumbsup: i can get my discovery in spaces people cant get there smart car in due to been useless drivers

I know that my car has increased in value since I bought it not gone down. (Mitsibishi pinin) I own a 4X4 for driving across fields to feed horses and being able to get there in any weather. Which it does. Been fantastic. Also meant my husband would have been able to get to work 20 miles away, which he did all through last year. Unfortunately it was other drivers which caused problems which forced him to stay at home. His car wont be moving for a while but we would never swap it, it is much needed for 11 months of the year.

If you are wanting a car that will be better in the snow why not pick a family type car that has 4X4 option, then they can still be economical. Our neighbour has a great little fiat 4X4 which does anything in the snow. But doesn't drink gallons of petrol in the summer. I never understand why people think of discoveries and the such when they think of 4X4 when in reality they should be farm 4X4s not road cars, there are better alternatives for people who just want the option to get by with a bit of the white stuff.

ETA and having seen a mass of different 4X4s in the snow and ice, I would much prefer to be in mine or the fiat I mentioned rather than a bigger 4X4. I have seen loads of discoveries and defenders slip all over because of the weight and have driven a cher jeep and new freelander in the ice, pretty scarey!

I know that my car has increased in value since I bought it not gone down. (Mitsibishi pinin) I own a 4X4 for driving across fields to feed horses and being able to get there in any weather. Which it does. Been fantastic. Also meant my husband would have been able to get to work 20 miles away, which he did all through last year. Unfortunately it was other drivers which caused problems which forced him to stay at home. His car wont be moving for a while but we would never swap it, it is much needed for 11 months of the year.

If you are wanting a car that will be better in the snow why not pick a family type car that has 4X4 option, then they can still be economical. Our neighbour has a great little fiat 4X4 which does anything in the snow. But doesn't drink gallons of petrol in the summer. I never understand why people think of discoveries and the such when they think of 4X4 when in reality they should be farm 4X4s not road cars, there are better alternatives for people who just want the option to get by with a bit of the white stuff.

ETA and having seen a mass of different 4X4s in the snow and ice, I would much prefer to be in mine or the fiat I mentioned rather than a bigger 4X4. I have seen loads of discoveries and defenders slip all over because of the weight and have driven a cher jeep and new freelander in the ice, pretty scarey!

i agree with all of what you said,a 4x4 is not always needed,ive also got a vectra im breaking at the minute,it has bald tyres allround and ive managed to move it around on the ice due to it having traction control,it works great (this is on private land btw and has not been on public road).my discoverys been great in the snow though,no sliding about and managed to help alot of people out

4x4s aint all bad

Archived