Help!!with insomnia

Oh yes - I can vouch for Night Nurse as well.

It knocks me out cold for hours.

Try a whisky and a couple of paracetamols as a night cap :|

If you look at the contents of the NN it lists alcohol and paracetamol as main ingredients.

The hospitals issue patients with a tiny black pill that knocks the out - ask for a couple from your doctor.

Did you know staring at the computer screen or tv before you go to bed tricks your brain into thinking it's daylight and may inhibit sleep? The trick is not to do anything stimulating for an hour or so before you go to bed - perhaps music [not rock and roll :hihi:] or relaxation tapes could help.

Melatonin tablets.......

buy a flock of sheep and count them........ [sorry that was a last resort]

The whisky i can understand, but why bother with paracetamol?

I use two things to get to sleep first i read a book not a thriller a biography or something long winded i lay on my right side with the book slightly overhanging the bed then i read with my right eye closed (i'm lucky that a street light near my house gives enough light that i don't need any lights on) then if i fall asleep the book falls on the floor and i don't squash it while asleep.

The second thing i do is think of stairs often crazy stairs in bizarre buildings and i tend to run up them as fast as i can they never have an end and often i have strange dreams about them once i'm asleep but it works for me.

I assuming you don't want drugs such as zopiclone since you've got kids.

Basically do something "boring" for a hour before going to bed, something where you don't need or want to pay attention, this allows you to have those type of thoughts you get whilst trying to get to sleep. It helps you unwind down to a level where you feel relaxed enough to believe you can sleep when you go to bed.

Then when you feel really tired and want to go to bed, stay up for another half hour or so, maybe prepare some stuff for the next day.

Then when you go to bed, first tap the pillow as many times as the time you want to wake (e.g. 7 times for 7am). Then breathe in, count it in, then breathe out, but keep on breathing out for 3 - 5 seconds longer than you did in. This will relax you. Do it again and you will feel like sleeping.

Another thing I was always told, never try to sleep on your back (your more likely to snore and likely to wake up), so lye on your front, maybe in the prone position (recovery).

i wonder if any one has any tips or rememdys they have used.i seem to be hitting my head against a wall.even my doctor is confused why nothing makes me sleep at nite

Surely knocking your head against a brick wall will keep you awake, you must hit the wall a lot harder.:hihi:

Archived