Sheffield music scene

GFUNK86

Hey dude, i am in a metal band called The Ultimate Kings, i know the genre aint as popular as it used to be but want to try and get some exposure.

It wont let me add the link for the myspace with be only just joining the site so if you can google The Ultimate Kings the myspace page will pop up.

Have only been on a few months but have managed over 100,000 hits. The site is only basic at the min, myspace did an "upgrade" the other day and it wiped out what we had on there to swicth over. We only play music and the guy who designes our site will be upgrading it shortly.

The song Light Of Dawn is only a basic demo that we recorded in our rehearsal room so its not the best quality but its good enough for a demo.

Let me know what you think.

Jonathan

Ill deffinitely have a look mate. cheers

What Sheffield really needs is an (online) comprehensive list of gigs (both large and small) that are on in Sheffield. Similar to the one Jumbo records does for Leeds (see link). I can't find any that are comprehensive enough so have to rely on getting the free flyers that have gig lists, which obviously go out of date very quickly. Generalist websites like 'Gigwise' and gigs.co.uk tend to be next to useless for this sort of thing, it needs an organisation with local knowledge/connections to produce such a list.

Would make going to see unsigned/alt bands in Shef a lot easier.

http://www.jumborecords.co.uk/tickets.asp?sort=date&event_id=10914

I totally agree. As you say though it would take a lot of work to keep up to date and comprehensive enough to serve a purpose. The jumbo site seems brilliant, might be worth dropping them a line and asking how the collate it all, if the editor is interested - can't see why he wouldnt. Thanks for your input mate

I totally agree. As you say though it would take a lot of work to keep up to date and comprehensive enough to serve a purpose. The jumbo site seems brilliant, might be worth dropping them a line and asking how the collate it all, if the editor is interested - can't see why he wouldnt. Thanks for your input mate

Part of a wider issue of there being no independent records shops in Shef. Jumbo sells the tickets for all these gigs - the venues come to them with their listings as they distribute the tickets. I presume they just collate and update.

Would be harder for a magazine to do, although if venues want to promote their gigs it would make sense for them to keep their local music mag updated.

I like SMS magazine, read the last feew issues as they came out. They also gave a very nice review of a record I'm on but that's incidental... ;)

I'd actually have to disagree with bluemonday in so far as I know I've stumbled on things by flipping through to get to a bit I intended to read... If you separated it out more I think you'd lose stuff like that.

However, I agree that the formatting is questionable - from the perspective of someone with at least some qualification in graphic presentation, I think it could certainly be made more readable!

Anyway, OP, hope to see some of your stuff in there soon.

What Sheffield really needs is an (online) comprehensive list of gigs (both large and small) that are on in Sheffield. Similar to the one Jumbo records does for Leeds (see link). I can't find any that are comprehensive enough so have to rely on getting the free flyers that have gig lists, which obviously go out of date very quickly. Generalist websites like 'Gigwise' and gigs.co.uk tend to be next to useless for this sort of thing, it needs an organisation with local knowledge/connections to produce such a list.

ents24.com

This is something we're looking into at the moment Rob (http://www.socialbeast.co.uk).

Quite interested in looking into a way that we can integrate the work that you do GFUNK86 into the site - it seems pointless to compete. Obviously the revenue that that particular section of the site would generate from ads would be yours.

There's alot of similar online magazines within sheffield..

I think there's both advantages and disadvantages in terms of accessibility, and navigation.

Alot of people use the net, so obviously there's the potential for a mass audience.

However, not alot of people are willing to go on a site, and click around for hours seaching content of which can sometimes be a bit to overwhelming and time consuming. In this sense, the traditional format of an actual hard copy of a magazine is so much more appealing.

Saying that, there's obviously factors to take into consideration such as cost and marketing, which is what makes the online mags so good as they're free.

This is something we're looking into at the moment Rob (http://www.socialbeast.co.uk).

Quite interested in looking into a way that we can integrate the work that you do GFUNK86 into the site - it seems pointless to compete. Obviously the revenue that that particular section of the site would generate from ads would be yours.

The Ents24.com (suggested in another post) listing is surprisingly comprehensive, although I would still wonder about it missing stuff out given that it's not local. Also a bit clunky to navigate.

I'll keep an eye on your socialbeast website for when you get some more content.

Archived