Enough of the UK

That's precisely my point. Based on first-hand experience, I'd put France in the top 3 of 'best-to-worse EU countries to live in'. Under the UK (2nd) and Luxembourg (1st), above Belgium (4th), Germany (5th) and Ireland (6th).

It doesn't. They're just less visible, because the media is more tightly controlled (and yes, it is. I've seen it and done it at the coalface).

If you're living beyond your means, it doesn't mater whether you live in a council house or in a 10-bedroom mansion, the same problem is still there (and worse in the latter case)

These exist in the UK too ;)

Not too sure about that one, all things being equal. They do have much cheaper electricity and orders-of-magnitude better broadband, that is for sure. But the personal taxation is much heavier. Swings and roundabouts.

They just closed the cardio unit and fired the chief resident of the main hospital in my home city, on account of too many deaths under the knife. Anecdotal, but goes back to the heart of the first point above: it's dangerous to generalise ;)

EDIT

And whilst my Mum has always worked in the social/health Civil Service over there, my Dad has always run his own engineering-based business(es...most went under at some stage or other), and would very much side with Bush on that one (mind you, it's always made for lively discussions around the dinner table :D)

I genuinely can't see how you'd put the UK above France? Based on what?

ALL official statistics put the France way above the UK for everything.

You don't think that in 11 years I haven't changed doctors. I've seen a good few- they're all the same.

Whether it's them or I suspect the system- again I can do nothing about that.

I don't seem to be the only one complaining- the NHS is in the media nearly every day. And it ain't being praised.

You've seen cartloads of doctors and they are ALL bad? Hmm... doesn't that make you wonder that maybe it could be you in the wrong if you have been dissatisfied with every one of them?

You've seen cartloads of doctors and they are ALL bad? Hmm... doesn't that make you wonder that maybe it could be you in the wrong if you have been dissatisfied with every one of them?

There is no right/wrong thing. They have no time to listen to you and don't seem to be bothered. Most of you have possibly nothing to compare your current GP/NHS to.

I do. The one thing I can say is how attentive and thorough French doctors are. Which is massively important when you're unwell.

Can i just confirm - you have now had something found wrong with you I assume? It sounds a bit like you simply disagree with them telling you there is nothing wrong when you think there is.

to be fair, if you are in pain then there IS something wrong with you, it might not be serious or it could be life threatening, but being told there is nothing wrong with you obvously isn't going to help

Can i just confirm - you have now had something found wrong with you I assume? It sounds a bit like you simply disagree with them telling you there is nothing wrong when you think there is.

No not really- I had a vague diagnosis of IBS. My life is hell at the moment- I'm 27 and unable to do anything without being in chronic pain, having chronic nausea, weakness etc... I have so many weird symptoms. And yet they just keep signing me off work ( years now) with no real answers.

They've truly given up but I genuinely feel they haven't tried anywhere near hard enough.

Archived