Worst two winters

In the 20th century, 1947 saw the most snow, but '63 had the longest freeze, apparently the sea froze over for 1 mile out of Hearne Bay. All the small ponds and dams in the Rivelin Valley froze thick enough to support ice-skating, I remember seeing dozens of skaters as I walked along the path to Rivelin Post Office.

Great story that :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

1940 - Hardly rose above freezing for over 3 months

1947 - Most Snow

1963 - Coldest - Diesel fuel froze in many buses & lorries.

The one in 1940 would have been quite depressing i guess-what with the war going on at that time.

Frankie Valli sang about the winter of 1963 didn`t he.

The one in 1940 would have been quite depressing i guess-what with the war going on at that time.

There may have been some rationing and kids evacuated, but active fighting had not yet started, so it wasn't quite as bad as you might imagine.

Frankie Valli sang about the winter of 1963 didn`t he.

Only because he was persuaded to change the lyric; the song was written about the night that Prohibition ended, in '33.

when I was a child many years ago the nearby canal froze over and was so thick the local kids played football on it

and no this wasn't 1863 ;)

could have been 1963 tho thinking about it

Archived