Talking Jennels here.

Texas

Jennels occasionaly are mentioned on some threads and I got to thinking how many I could remember from my early years in Sheffield. The most memorable one was between little Hayward Road and Woodside Lane, that was in Pitsmoor, it had cast iron stumps, top and bottom. On the left hand side going up to Woodside Lane was the Mission Hall. On the right was Buccierie's backyard.

The only other one I remember was between Pitsmoor Road and top end of Schoolboard Hill, back of Pyebank School. I think that one still exists. Anymore, anywhere?

One in the Hillsborough area that I remember from my childhood is still there - it goes from Norris road to the bottom of Meredith Road (next to the Hillsborough Social Club). There are lots of other walkways but I think a "proper" gennel/jennel needs to be old; it has to have walls rather than fences/hedges, and it is between houses or yards. This is actually the O.E.D. definition. There's at least one real gennel right in the city centre, between North Church Street and Paradise Square, and there are no doubt many more.

A Pitsmoor gennel (albeit wider than average) that Texas may remember was Marcus Walk, which led from Marcus Street up to Neville Street. I'm almost tempted to bid for this postcard on eBay...:)

The gennel/gennels I remember are from the top of The Oval at Firth Park, ending at Revills sweet shop at Firth Park roundabout. I used to run down there every Saturday morning to spend my pocket money.

The very ones that I knew as a lad Jane, if you stamped your feet when going thro the sound was amplified ten times over, a banger on bonfire night used to do the same:hihi:.

Up here at Aston they call em "Snickits":huh:

The very ones that I knew as a lad Jane, if you stamped your feet when going thro the sound was amplified ten times over, a banger on bonfire night used to do the same:hihi:.

Up here at Aston they call em "Snickits":huh:

I left there in '76.

We used to run down the gennel jump the fence onto the road and onto the next gennel. I suppose it was dangerous looking back. It would be impossible now with the amount of traffic.

Archived