Talking Jennels here.

Texas

Digressing a bit here, but on hillsbro's map there's a continuing of Fitzalan Street at the bottom, over the railway to Chatham Street. I don't, for the life of me, remember that. Just below there was a doorway with steps leading down into the old goods yard. What year is that map, hillsbro?

I never realised that there where so many jennels, and still are. I see the one I mentioned running from Pitsmoor Road to Pyebank School has been 'poshed up' to a drive no less. Back in the day it actually had a drainage channel on the right hand side going down. It didn't make much difference in winter, it was still lethal, with a sheet of ice all the way down. On the various sledging threads I've mentioned where I nearly killed myself, one winter's night, giving it a go.

What year is that map, hillsbro?
Around 1914 but it might not be accurate. Old directories indicate that Fitzwilliam Street started at 19 Railway Street, not Chatham Street, and a 1950s map shows a footbridge over the railway, not part of the street. This photo looking down Chatham Street was evidently taken from the bottom of the steps leading to the footbridge.

On Lydgate Lane, not far from the junior school, there was, maybe still is a gennel leading to the top of Forres Avenue. I think.

I remember that one Mike, it ran past what we knew as the quarry from memory, there are also the two gennel's that link Tasker Rd to Salsbury Rd and then with Cross Lane at Crookes.

There were also quite a few that were behind the houses on both sides of Midfield Rd, Crookes too.

From The Bulls Head at Ranmoor to Ranmoor Road and then across the road diagonally to start another which came out at Whitworth Road. Walked up them loads of times when coming home from Nether Green Infants in the 50/60s. Hope I've got the road names right-it's a long, long time since I've been there.

Great topic-some memories there.

Does this start from the cul de sac to the right of the Bull's Head?

See edit.

There was a jennel from the top end of Marsh House Road down to Knowle Lane in Ecclesall. Judging from the deteriorating state of the wooden fencing, it is probably the same that was there sixty years ago to my knowledge.

TheJennell2007.jpg

There was also a level pathway from the bottom end of Marsh House Road through to Ringinglow Road by the old C of E Primary School

Very interesting reading on 'Gennels' or 'Jennels' and remember a few certainly the one at Walkley that someone mentioned, it went down the hill before the road turned left onto Bolehill Rd, my dad had relatives down there in fact. *** I lived next to one on Botham St in Grimesthorpe albeit short, it was approx 12ft wide, cobbled with a stone pillar in the centre and the entrance to the yard that housed the backs of seven houses where we lived. *** Over here the modern versions of these are called 'Right-aways', when they build new sub-divisions, they have to strategically build these into the neighbourhood, or in some cases build around existing ones, so as to allow people to move around, like kids walking to school and the like.

Hi Crooksey-the gennel runs the other side of the Bulls Head and next to the gardens that belong to the cul-de-sac houses. Often thought how vulnerable the gardens were!

I had a morning paper round from the Ranmoor newsagents and it was always a struggle getting the bike, paper bag-and me-up these gennels.

Archived