Talking Jennels here.

Texas

Was that a gennel or a lane that went from Upwell Street to the road above with the Beehive pub on?I think there was an old pump on it.
The Beehive was on Upwell Lane - this photo of a pump is in that area, next to the old chapel, and it seems to be in a gennel - maybe this is the pump you remember? Here it is a bit larger.

Jennel? im from Lancashire and we called them Ginnels lol
That's also what they call them in Barnsley - strange how it changes within a few miles. Here are some other words for gennel:

Liverpool - jigger

North Lincs. - tenfoot

N.E. Lincs. - eightfoot

Midlands and East Anglia - snicket

Sussex and West Kent - twitten

Birmingham - gully

According to Wikipedia the "jennel" pronunciation is only found in Sheffield.

That's also what they call them in Barnsley - strange how it changes within a few miles. Here are some other words for gennel:

Liverpool - jigger

North Lincs. - tenfoot

N.E. Lincs. - eightfoot

Midlands and East Anglia - snicket

Sussex and West Kent - twitten

Birmingham - gully

According to Wikipedia the "jennel" pronunciation is only found in Sheffield.

Somewhere in north Lincolnshire there's a village or a town where some jennels are named. They are genuine Georgian names, so my source tells me. He reckons they are only about three feet wide and running between some houses. One is called 'Paradise Smoot' and another is called 'Kit Cat'. I've no reason to doubt his word. I thought I'd mention this because it must be near where you live.

Archived