Eckington-The town time forgot !

"What does the OP expect to find their Harvey Nicks and Selfridges?" Some proper shops maybe ? Not just takeaways and derelect shops that are boarded up !

For example?

And which ex pit village is a good example of having such a centre?

Eckington is very much like Dinnington IMO.

It's a large ex pit village with a small centre and a row of shops. What does the OP expect to find their Harvey Nicks and Selfridges?

Very true Cyclone, since the pit closed the village just does'nt seem the same. Eckington and Dinnington are very small villages, personally l like it that way.

As villages go they're actually huge. By some definitions Dinnington is a town. It's just that most people live there but don't work there anymore, they commute.

I'm just not sure what the OP is expecting to find on the high street in Eckington, I don't think they've got realistic expectations.

In comparison to Rotherham, Eckington is a village. Never has been and never will be a town..
Yes,in comparison,but a town is just somewhere that holds a market or fair periodically,but who cares what they call it.

As villages go they're actually huge. By some definitions Dinnington is a town
.Yes they are huge,and by definition both are towns

Very true Cyclone, since the pit closed the village just does'nt seem the same. Eckington and Dinnington are very small villages, personally l like it that way
Actually neither are small villages anymore as i can remember both from being a teenager and before,I moved to Killamarsh from Sheffield around 1955 to live on the "White City",when it was just built.From Delves Rd,(before the police station was built) towards Eckington there were no houses at all just green fields and Killamarsh was a lot smaller than Eckington.As teenagers we used to walk over the field's and "cat gallows" bridge to have a night out there at the "feast", dances,picture house, or as we grew older for a drink,there must have been more pubs there for the size of the then "village" than anywhere....WHO CAN NAME THEM ALL?...The "Bird in Hand" was a favourite with us young un's,and later the "White Hart", "Angel",and "Prince of Wales" pubs like the "Duke of York" were more for the "older" drinkers.When i became a "rocker" (biker) there was Charlie Freemans .... Eckington was a smashing place to go with lots of friendly people,and,it is the people who make the place.

I would hazard a guess that any attempt she made would be akin to <removed> in the wind. It doesn't really matter what you do to Eckington town centre - it will still be in Eckington.You can't polish a turd.
..As i said it's the people who make the place,and it's no good doing the shopping in Chesterfield/Sheffield/Meadowhall/Morrisons/Sainsbury then moaning the shops are boarded up, because you don't shop/spend there

exactly ! so is'nt it the job of the local mp to attract some investment and jobs into the area ? engle's not doing much of a job of is she ???

She wont have as much influence now will she? still in the past she has not exactly done enough.

Archived