Why is the Queen our "Head of State" ?

"Then can you explain how the country will be a better place to live if your activities are successful and it ceases to be a constitutional monarchy?" Could it be any worse ? France and Germany seem to be doing alright without a monarch don't they ?

It's a simple question that goes to the heart of your objection. Here it is again:

Can you explain how the country will be a better place to live if your activities are successful and it ceases to be a constitutional monarchy?

Why shouldn't she be our head of state?? It's called a monarchy....and it's not a case of voting...which is why i get bemused by people saying prince charles should not be king. it's not a popularity contest! it's the way our country works as it has done for centuries.....

Because of the part I put in bold. Birthright is a horribly unfair way of deciding who is head of state.

Maybe we could have a "better" way and hold elections for head of state?

End up with George Bush or Silvo Belusconi as the person that represents us around the world?

No thanks, I'll stick with HM Queen Elizabeth II.

Maybe we could have a "better" way and hold elections for head of state?

End up with George Bush or Silvo Belusconi as the person that represents us around the world?

We already have a prime minister who represents us around the world, it really wouldn't be that much different, we just wouldn't have a hereditary ruler. Besides the Queen doesn't represent us, she is completely alien to us, in what way does the queen represent anything about you at all? Charles seems even more out of touch.

No thanks, I'll stick with HM Queen Elizabeth II.
It's also the very idea of those horrible titles, 'her majesty' screw that. The head of state should be a citizen, not some separate class above citizens, that disgusts me. I don't acknowledge anyone as being 'sir' or 'lord' so I'm certainly not going to acknowledge a Queen or King.

We already have a prime minister who represents us around the world, it really wouldn't be that much different, we just wouldn't have a hereditary ruler. Besides the Queen doesn't represent us, she is completely alien to us, in what way does the queen represent anything about you at all? Charles seems even more out of touch.

It's also the very idea of those horrible titles, 'her majesty' screw that. The head of state should be a citizen, not some separate class above citizens, that disgusts me. I don't acknowledge anyone as being 'sir' or 'lord' so I'm certainly not going to acknowledge a Queen or King.

I think if any one of us can claim he has led a less selfless life than her then he's a lying dog.

Archived