Why is the Queen our "Head of State" ?

I believe he is right. The UK doesn't have a constitution as far as I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_the_United_Kingdom

Unlike many nations, the UK has no core constitutional document. It is therefore often said that the country has an unwritten, uncodified, or de facto constitution.[1] However, the word "unwritten" is something of a misnomer as much of the British constitution is embodied in the written form, within statutes, court judgments, and treaties. The constitution has other unwritten sources, including parliamentary constitutional conventions and royal prerogatives.

Doesn't a constitution mean written rules which can only be changed through referenda or acts of parliament? Not the same as treaties or court rulings.

Ours is split into manageable parts which can be altered by the methods you described. There is a religious body which can do it also I heard the other day, it'll come back to me!

But we don't actually have a clearly and defined british constitution do we ? It cracks me up how many working class people on this MB support the rich,wealthy and powerful upper classes who run this country. Open your dull and dark minds l Stop reading "The Daily Sport" for a few moments look around you and smell the coffee !

Ours is split into manageable parts which can be altered by the methods you described. There is a religious body which can do it also I heard the other day, it'll come back to me!

Semantic trickery. All you have demonstrated is that the UK has a political structure, which you are calling a constitution. Wel I have a constiution as well. However, if we move away from your source of information on these matters (Kids net. dictionary) :hihi: It has always been my experience that in common usuage of the English language, when someone refers to a 'national constitution' it is generally accepted they are refering to a single written document.

Odd. Don't actually remember voting for her in my lifetime. She's universally know as the Head of State for the UK but she's never actually elected to the post. Thought we lived in a democracy. Am I missing something here ?

The Queen is our head of state because the people of the UK allow it via our elected politicians, she or her title could be removed whenever our elected politicians wanted to.

She is also the head of state of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, and Saint Kitts and Nevis.

Archived