Frozen car water bottle

Is that the stuff that says on the bottle - warning do not let this product come in contact with your car's paintwork? :huh::suspect:

The old stuff used to say that but the double concentrate stuff I bought from Halfords doesn't say that on the container. I've been putting various different brands of screenwash in neat for years and it's never damaged my paintwork.

Also I wish I could spell boiling! Corrected it now!

I get mine from Asda, put it in neat now then top up with water through the summer, never had it freeze up on me.

Heat from the engine won't melt it as the washer bottles generally arent close enough to get this heat.

I'm not sure that you can rely on the heat from the engine melting it to be honest because it depends on where the reservoir is situated as to whether it gets any heat at all. One of my cars had the reservoir right over by the front of the front doors, where it would be really unlikely to warm up.

If it's full and frozen solid then it may take a number of hours to get it melted (think about how long ice cubes take to melt in a drink and multiply upwards for the size of the block of ice) so I'd go with hot water bottles and insulation, if you can get to the reservoir, pipes and jets that is, and poured hot water if you can't leave heat on it.

You're likely to end up with just creating enough space to pour in some screen wash or warm water which will help with the melting, but I don't think it will be an easy or quick job. If you can wait until Friday then the weather will be on your side as the ambient temperature will be above freezing for the first time in a good few weeks.

I have heard that a pond will not totally freeze over if you put a football in the pond. I do not know if this is true, and if it is, i do not know how that stops the pond freezing.

However,if it is true,(assuming some bod on here can tell us for sure) what about putting a small ball (ping pong ball?) inside the water bottle?:suspect:

I'm not sure that you can rely on the heat from the engine melting it to be honest because it depends on where the reservoir is situated as to whether it gets any heat at all.

That's my experience. Most are now hidden in the wheel arch and never get warm from the engine.

If if you did manage to heat it up the next issue is the frozen water in the pipes to the washer jets.

Carry a squirty water bottle and give the windscreen a soak when you stop at red lights.

Archived