What's more fuel efficient ?

The Energy Saving Trust website has a list of frequently asked questions. I've copied and pasted their response below:

Q: Isn’t it better for me to leave the heating on low while I am out the house rather than turn it off, so that the house takes less time to heat up when I return home?

A: No! If you want your house to be readily heated up when you wake up in the morning, or come in from an outing, you should use the timer/programmer to switch the heating on a suitable length of time before hand. You can time how quickly your home heats up and cools down by switching the boiler on and measuring the time taken to reach a comfortable temperature. If this is, for example, 30 minutes, then set the programmer to switch the heating on 30 minutes in advance of times when you know you will be waking up or arriving home. Leaving the heating on for any longer than this when you are out the house, even on a low setting, means that the boiler will be working continuously when the heating is not needed, and all the energy it produces will be wasted.

So you've never had the runs or been sick and who said that the dishes needed to be sterilised? When you wash the dishes in a bowl all you are doing is washing the bacteria from one dish to another.

I have never had a dishwasher and have only ever got food poisoning when eating out!

People have survived for many many many years using hot water and a bowl or less-maybe you aren't doing it right:hihi:

I would say a bowl with soap is probably much more energy efficient and it won't destroy your glasses!

I have never had a dishwasher and have only ever got food poisoning when eating out!

Unless it's actually been traced back to where you've eaten then surely it's just speculation.

People have survived for many many many years using hot water and a bowl or less-maybe you aren't doing it right:hihi:

I grew up using a bowl, it was only when I was at university that someone pointed out how unhygienic it was only to have one sink instead of having two, one for washing and one for rinsing, they said in their country this was the norm. After this I've always washed the dishes by rinsing them under the tap, before I got a dishwasher.

Unless it's actually been traced back to where you've eaten then surely it's just speculation.

I grew up using a bowl, it was only when I was at university that someone pointed out how unhygienic it was only to have one sink instead of having two, one for washing and one for rinsing, they said in their country this was the norm. After this I've always washed the dishes by rinsing them under the tap, before I got a dishwasher.

It has, once was when I was away in France for a week and once was when I was staying at a hotel in Daresbury I ate at the same cafeteria every day for a week both times.

It has, once was when I was away in France for a week and once was when I was staying at a hotel in Daresbury I ate at the same cafeteria every day for a week both times.

Perhaps if they washed their dishes properly you'd have been alright. :hihi:

Anyway this is seriously off topic, and it's not really all that important.

All objects lose heat faster if they are hotter than their surroundings - this is easy to demonstrate with a hot cup of coffee that cools down very rapidly at first but then takes much longer to cool when it's close to the room temperature.

With a house you should only keep it "hot" while you need it otherwise you are throwing excess heat away. A timer should start heating before you need it so it gets to temperature just as you require it - so it comes on for example an hour before you get back from work/school/whatever and heats for an hour in the morning before you get up.

Perhaps if they washed their dishes properly you'd have been alright. :hihi:

Anyway this is seriously off topic, and it's not really all that important.

Im sure generally food poisoning is from the food rather than the dishes. Im sure I will survive hand washed dishes for a lifetime!

Im sure generally food poisoning is from the food rather than the dishes. Im sure I will survive hand washed dishes for a lifetime!

I've read or heard somewhere that most cases of stomach upset where caused directly or indirectly by poor toilet hygiene.

I've read or heard somewhere that most cases of stomach upset where caused directly or indirectly by poor toilet hygiene.

believe me I know exactly what putrid food made me sick the second time it was nothing to do with a toilet!:gag: I never ate there again even though I stayed many more weeks (a work thing).

I've had proper (salmonella) food poisoning, that came directly from food. A dodgy tuna sandwich since you ask.

I'm also old enough to have drunk in pubs pre-dishwasher. It was reasonably common to get mild stomach bugs back then, often attributed to a "mucky glass". Those whirring brush things were the worst culprits.

A modern dishwasher uses very little water or energy to run. It also produces cleaner dishes.

Archived