USA in decline. Replaced as a superpower by 2025

If China ever does become the next world power that does not bode well for the rest of the world. The Chinese are basically selfish self serving people and will only bring their own interests before any others.

You mean exactly like the rest of humanity? Certainly nothing special about China in this regard.

Come on, don't wheel out the 50's bogeyman. China is a by-product of global capitalism. It's not been communist since Mao popped his clogs.
[/b

Dont you believe it. I was among a group of people who went on a trip to China back in 2008.

Our Chinese guides were willing to talk openly about the government as it relates to the emergence of capitalist enterprise.

The gist of it was that the communist government agreed to allow a slackening of government control over free enterprise in return for continuing political control in all other areas.

I works pretty well for them now but if that political control is lost or relinquished then it's more than likely that there will be a painful interlude as the country goes through a period of adjustment to complete democracy.

By the way, Mao is still very much a god in China. Thousands of rural Chinese come in by bus to Beijing to visit his tomb in Tianemen square every day.

Another fact is that President Nixon is regarded very highly. Photos of him and Chinese leaders are seen on walls in many places

Since it's impossible for that to be the case, how much oil exactly do you think the USA has?

In addition to Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico there are vast untapped resources along the Pacific coast.

Most buses in major cities now run on propane gas and with hybrids gaining more and more popularity consumption isn't increasing on a great scale either

I don't agree on this.

Firstly, if the USA didn't buy the oil, then the Chinese would! Did you know Sudan (on the USA terrorist hit list) sells its oil to China, and they've got a nice bilateral trade going on?

Secondly, the USA has been interfering in Middle East affairs for decades (Iran, Iraq, Israel). I fear the last thing the USA wants to see is stability in the Middle East and for the Arab nations stop killing each other and become another superpower threat to US interests!

Agreed, on both points!

What Arab nations are currently killing each other?

Anyway, as for my own opinion I would prefer to see the US abandon the fruitless cause of trying to bring about peace between the Jews and the Palestinians. It's not going to happen. The Palestinians wont talk to the Jews until they stop building settlements on Palestinian land and the Jews refuse to stop building the settlements. It's time Obama told Netanyahu to shove it and concentrate his energies on US domestic problems instead.

In addition to Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico there are vast untapped resources along the Pacific coast.

Most buses in major cities now run on propane gas and with hybrids gaining more and more popularity consumption isn't increasing on a great scale either

That May be, I was impressed by the lack of pollution in Manhattan due to all Hybrid taxis and buses, but no country can make the statement that it has enough untapped oil of it's own to be completely self sufficient indefinitely. The US nay have massive reserves but not enough to be self sufficient forever.

As much as I may criticize US government policy on a whole range of matters I'd much rather them than the despotic Chinese regime.

I foresee statues of Chairman Mao prominently displayed in all European capitals and people trying to figure out how to read Chinese characters on all signs that will by law required to be shown alongside signs in the local languages :hihi:

The Japanese were supposed to be taking over the world in the 80s. Didnt happen. Nor will the Chinese. Their is nothing in the Chinese character or history to suggest they are expansionist. They will have influence in Africa and elsewhere as their country, big as it is has few natural resources and they will need to trade.

It is the Anglo Saxon character that seeks expansion. as America becomes more Spanish they too will become less expansionist. in fact the US has never had a motivation to conquer only to influence and protect its own interests.

The only culture that truly seeks world domination is Muslim. Until that culture comes to accept that it is only one of a number of belief systems it is the Islamic threat that far outweighs both the American and Chinese "threat".

That May be, I was impressed by the lack of pollution in Manhattan due to all Hybrid taxis and buses, but no country can make the statement that it has enough untapped oil of it's own to be completely self sufficient indefinitely. The US nay have massive reserves but not enough to be self sufficient forever.

But more than likely it's reasonable to assume that a break through in an alternative energy source is bound to occur sometime in the next 50 years

and if the untapped resources were exploited these would easily suffice to last until 2070 at the very least.

All this hs no reality however as these resources will never be tapped and the US will go on vying with the Chinese, Europeans and Indians to buy middle east oil and paying the market prices.

Archived