Too many students? Too many universities?

" I was talking to the head of a large newspaper company the other day (not one I write for) who said that no media studies graduates worked anywhere in the whole company."

Fraser Nelson, July 2010.

Put simply, are there too many students and too many universities catering for them?

" I was talking to the head of a large newspaper company the other day (not one I write for) who said that no media studies graduates worked anywhere in the whole company."

Put simply, are there too many students and too many universities catering for them?

There are too many university courses, I can't see the point in getting a degree that won't help you out in a future career. I suppose if they didn't have these subjects some people would choose not to go to uni rather than choose another course.

Having a more educated workforce must be a good thing but probably not if they are only educated in a something that isn't of use to anyone.

I really do believe that we need to analyse the markets and let the businesses decide where there are skills shortages.We need to offer up the right degrees that the labour market actually needs. That is if you think that the reason that one goes to university is to gain the skills and knowledge that will get you on to the ladder that sets you up in a job that will (hopefully) stand you in good stead for the rest of your life.

Of course there will always be those who want to go to University for the pleasure of learning. Many mature students take this option.

I see this as different to those who go who need to gain a skill or gain knowledge in the hope that this will lead to employment.

We need Doctors, nurses, engineers and teachers generally.We are particularly short on teachers of science.Maybe we need to analyse why this is and work on attracting more people in to those kinds of professions.

Be interesting to know how many graduates they employed of whatever discipline though (and what media studies graduates go on and do).

media studies is a worthwhile degree when you compare it to....

a degree in multimedia computing!!!:o:loopy:

There are too many university courses, I can't see the point in getting a degree that won't help you out in a future career. I suppose if they didn't have these subjects some people would choose not to go to uni rather than choose another course.

Having a more educated workforce must be a good thing but probably not if they are only educated in a something that isn't of use to anyone.

In reality higher education teaches you how to think and execute work (?), yes it's better to study in a chosen field, but not necessarily. A comparison would be teaching toddlers through play.

Either i'd say both are technically the same, or, the one with the science element would be of more use!

I reckon media studies has more psychological stuff in it. How to make a good advert kind of thing, multimedia computing is how to use a computer/MAC. Both obviously do not require a degree course and are better learnt on the job unless they are made more specific eg computer animation might be worth a degree.

I guess the problem is a general degree is totally pointless! it needs to be specific as you need to go into the subject in depth. If it covers too broad a range of elements then it is just a bunch of taster sessions with an exam or two thrown in the mix.

In a word yes! I strongly believe that the university system should be academically elitist. You get there on your academic ability not because someone has made the political decision that 50% of all school leavers should go on to higher education. If you want an upskilled workforce then raise the school leaving age and educate in school then the top academic X percent go to university for an academic degree the next X percent go to polytechnic (remember them?) for a vocational degree and the next X percent go on modern apprenticeships. Pushing an arbitrary large number of school leavers does nothing but dilute the university system and saddle a lot of people with a lot of debt.

I'm also firmly of the opinion that the "opening up" of the higher education system has little or nothing to do with creating a more skilled workforce and much more to do with keeping people off the dole for three years while making them pay for it. Then again I also believe that our "education" system is in a terrible mess and needs a serious overhaul.

Archived