Rotary Boys Camp Castleton?

trastrick

I was there in '63 during the bad winter,I still remember how to read a compass while allowing for true and magnetic north. We went up onto Stanage edge to do some rock climbing but the snow was so thick and piled up against the edge that we spent all day running and jumping off the top edge and sliding down on our boots and bums!!! Not many alive today that can boast that one-- it was brilliant.

hi there

are you refering to THE HOLLOWFORD TRAINING andCONFERENCE CENTER

in HOPE VALLEY.

i was on the 1st week of opening which was featured in the press

HTC also produced a magazine of which i feature on the front and back cover

the pictures where taken by sheff telgraph-star whilst climing on stannage edge

we also did night trecks . up winnats pass over to mam tor,win hill,lose hill and back to the center

as it happens that 1st week the snow was about a foot thick

there was a vicar there called kieth pound who played the guitar

ring any bells??????

I spent a week at Hollowford in December '62 sponsored by my employer James Chesterman & Co Ltd, who, I think, had made some financial contribution to the Centre. Deep snow and very cold. We were taken up onto Kinder, which had be curtailed due to the weather closing in and a mini blizzard. So cold that our outer clothing froze. Also had the night trek and ended up sliding headfirst down the Winnats it was so icy. Climbing on Stannage in a snowstorm was an experience too. I recall that one of the instructors was a vicar but can't remember his name. One evening was taken up with a long-winded discussion on West Side Story for some obscure reason. Otherwise a cracking week.

Archived