David Cameron reunites The Smiths!

David Cameron has claimed to be a fan of The Smiths, however former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr, recently forbade Cameron liking The Smiths saying "Stop saying that you like the Smiths," last week, "no you don't."

Morrisey has now backed up Marr stating "I would like to, if I may, offer support to Johnny Marr who has spoken out to the media this week against David Cameron,"

Ironic really that their disgust at Cameron being a 'fan' of the band has got 'em talking again!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/dec/06/morrissey-johnny-marr-david-cameron

Cameron was also taunted by this at todays PMQT and looked a bit ruffled as he used a few dreadful puns!

I wouldn't say it was Orwellian - just incredibly silly. I like Wagner's music but it doesn't mean he and I have anything in common when it comes to politics.

Wagners music isn't inherently political though - the strength is in the music itself.

The Smiths actual music is dirgy and boring (I defy anyone to convince me otherwise) and would not stand alone without the political/emotive content of the lyrics.

I think what he meant was you can't like the Smiths if you dont agree with the sentiments in their songs, for example, hard to imagine the tories grooving on down to the queen is dead just because they like the tunes.

I particularly enjoyed this comment from the guardian website:

Maybe Morrissey & Marr have got upset about Cameron liking their music because he's exactly the kind of smug **** their music appeals to most?

Just a thought.

Archived