Staithes Camp near Whitby

Nailbiter

Nailbiter, yes, I used to go there about the same time with my school-- wonderful place and times. I understand it was an old army camp at one time. Crabbing, exploring all those lovely alleyways and just being free to do what we wanted. I went back there five years ago while staying in Scarbroro. Its still pretty much the same 'cept the camp as gone along with the railway line over the valley mouth, the "crab and lobster is still there. Lots of happy memories!.

Sorry you missed the camp flightliner it is in fact still there at the side of The Captain Cook Inn. All the original huts are still there and have been converted into holiday chalets. Managed to find the hut I stayed in all those years ago when I visited this Summer. As you say happy times when we were much younger.

Nailbiter, I saw the "Cook Inn" as we were going/coming back up the hill and did see what looked like holiday chalets-- God-- they certainly fooled me!!!. But thanks for bringing it to my attention, the next time I go I will make a determined effort and walk inside the place and try to find "my hut".

its still there, its called trigpoint, or was 12 years ago when i left staithes, its not quite next to the "cook", next to the cook is the carpark, then some houses, then the entrance to trig point (right at the top of the bank), the huts are further up BEHIND the houses.

to the left is some newer houses that are built on what was the old school

Archived