Electrical buzzing noise from wall?

I have recently noticed an intermittent short loud buzzing noise coming from the wall when I use my hair straighteners. It happened last time, but I thought it was just a coincidence, or the people next door making noise. This morning it did it again.

Its not coming from the plug, or the straighteners themselves, its further along the wall, in the corner.

Can anyone help? :help:

It could be the socket shorting out internally.

Get it checked NOW. It;s a fire hazard.

If it was a short, it would have shorted and blown a fuse...

It's probably just an EMF making something vibrate. Like those lamps you leave plugged in all the time, after a while they start buzzing, as does my OralB toothbrush, many plugged digital alarm clocks do too.

Yeah get it checked out, but I wouldn't worry too much...

Maybe a professional might answer soon though!

Shorting is probably the wrong word, arcing is better, where electricity is having to jump to complete a circuit. This makes a buzzing noise, and is a major fire risk - do not use the circuit until you've had it checked out.

Shorting is probably the wrong word, arcing is better, where electricity is having to jump to complete a circuit. This makes a buzzing noise, and is a major fire risk - do not use the circuit until you've had it checked out.

That is what I was going to say.

Have you tried plugging a kettle into the same socket to see if the same thing happens?

Thinking about it, its more of a load crackling/buzzing noise, and when it happened the power light on the straighteners flickered. There is a 4-plug adaptor plugged into the socket in the bedroom, it which has a few things plugged into it, alarm clock, hairdryer etc.

I've been living in my house for nearly 5 years, never had any problems like this before.

I know someone who is an electrician, I will ask them for advice too. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thinking about it, its more of a load crackling/buzzing noise, and when it happened the power light on the straighteners flickered. There is a 4-plug adaptor plugged into the socket in the bedroom, it which has a few things plugged into it, alarm clock, hairdryer etc.

I've been living in my house for nearly 5 years, never had any problems like this before.

I know someone who is an electrician, I will ask them for advice too. Thanks for the suggestions.

I have had this before, customers used to say the same about their TV and it was always the adaptor.

Use a trailing socket instead. The Fire Brigade were round at my house fitting fire alarms and that is what they recommended. :)

Archived