What could be wrong with my car?

Really can't afford to take it to a garage at the minute so I though i'd ask on here.

I am having to top the water up every single morning before using it. If I don't the car over heats. It's had a new thermostat fitted which did solve the problem for a month or so but now it's at it again. I've checked all visible pipes etc and can't find any leaks, holes anywhere. Once i've filled the water up it runs fine for the rest of the day.

The heater in my car has always been brilliant but now, although it does get warmish, it's still not working how it used to and takes forever to heat the inside of the car.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

What car is it?

Sounds like a coolant leak. In this weather you must use coolant / antifreeze. You shouldn't ever just fill the tank with water. Your heaters will be cool because of the low coolant level.

Take it to a garage and asks them to do a pressure test. This should show up where any leak is. The coolant may be leaking internally into the engine somewhere as well so you may not see any signs of a leak. Check inside your oil cap. If there is any white / creamy coloured gunk in there you may have a problem with the head gasket.

If the car is over heating, never let the temp gauge go up to the top / into the red. Stop, let the car cool down before going any further.

Really can't afford to take it to a garage at the minute so I though i'd ask on here.

I am having to top the water up every single morning before using it. If I don't the car over heats. It's had a new thermostat fitted which did solve the problem for a month or so but now it's at it again. I've checked all visible pipes etc and can't find any leaks, holes anywhere. Once i've filled the water up it runs fine for the rest of the day.

The heater in my car has always been brilliant but now, although it does get warmish, it's still not working how it used to and takes forever to heat the inside of the car.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hope you are putting water in with antifreeze or you could end up with a bigger problem.:rant:

It may be a head gasket,take the oil dipstick out and look at the colour of the oil,if it's creamy then water is leaking into the engine(headgasket?)If the heater is cold that is a good sign of no water in rad...no water, nothing to heat up.....or an airlock in the system,thermostat stuck shut may cause water to overheat and come out of overflow pipe,or..maybe a faulty radiator cap.....am sure an experienced mechanic(of which i am not)will help........could also try some radweld?

What car is it?

Sounds like a coolant leak. In this weather you must use coolant / antifreeze. You shouldn't ever just fill the tank with water. Your heaters will be cool because of the low coolant level.

Take it to a garage and asks them to do a pressure test. This should show up where any leak is. The coolant may be leaking internally into the engine somewhere as well so you may not see any signs of a leak. Check inside your oil cap. If there is any white / creamy coloured gunk in there you may have a problem with the head gasket.

If the car is over heating, never let the temp gauge go up to the top / into the red. Stop, let the car cool down before going any further.

Do garages charge to do the pressure test?

It may be a head gasket,take the oil dipstick out and look at the colour of the oil,if it's creamy then water is leaking into the engine(headgasket?)If the heater is cold that is a good sign of no water in rad...no water, nothing to heat up.....or an airlock in the system,thermostat stuck shut may cause water to overheat and come out of overflow pipe,or..maybe a faulty radiator cap.....am sure an experienced mechanic(of which i am not)will help........could also try some radweld?

The heater isn't cold it just doesn't seem to be doing the job properly. I didn't think it was the thermostat again as once i've filled it up it runs fine. There does seem to be wet parts on the engine once it's hot but nothing in this area shows a leak.

Archived