Working percentage out

Why do we use percentages and not just multipliers?

There appears to be some subconscious bias in humans towards whole, and large, number instead of small fractions. People can more easily deal with 66% than they can with 0.66, even though they're the same thing.

It's certainly not true of all people, but it's apparently true of a large enough majority of people, that shops would rather refer to 33% off than a 0.33 reduction.

Isn't it just what people are used to?

But why?

It's certainly not true of all people, but it's apparently true of a large enough majority of people, that shops would rather refer to 33% off than a 0.33 reduction.

What about a third off, well I suppose that's really the same as 33% off, unless of course you buy 2 or more items. Hmmm, I may check next time. Is the discount applied on a per item basis or to groups of discounted items. I know in a shopping cart I designed it was to the (maybe sub) group (unless was an offer code where it would apply to whole).

Hmmm, give me my penny discount!

Archived