How many Lib Dem voters on SF would do so again ?

Will Lib Dem voters do so again ?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Will Lib Dem voters do so again ?

• Yes I voted for them and would again.
    • No I would not do so again.
    • Is there such thing as Lib Dems as a party any more,maybe they will merge with Tories ?
    • All parties are the same anyhow, none are worth the vote.

But strange too, since Rupert Murdoch has publically spent the last two years sucking up to Tory HQ and telling the Labour government to sod off.

And Cameron hasn't exactly told Obama to leave us alone either since they got to power.

I used to be pro PR. but having seen the Lib Dems use coalition government as an excuse to betray their voters, I can no longer see the attraction of giving them the opportunity to do it on a regular basis. I know that under coalitions in Ireland where minority parties hold the balance of power. (usually Greens or Irish Labour) the junior partners are never forced to do a U turn on their manifestos or basic principles.

This stuff about the Lib Dems 'having to' go along with the blatant Tory ideological crusade because it's a coalition, is just a story their spin doctors have made up to fool the gullible. I think when the votes are counted, they will realise they have done more harm to their cause than they realise, and rightly so. Maybe if the politicians see that sometimes there is a high price for betrayal, they will think twice in the future.

I think the difference between voting under our present system, and under a genuine PR system is the level of expectation of the voter.

Under PR you will have to accept that it is highly probable that you will get a compromise government, and your expectation of the policies you voted for being implemented should be lower as a result - it will be more a case of, well we didn't get this and this policy, but at least we got this and this

Under our present system people are used to majority governments, and not used to compromises having to be made quite to the extent they have been recently - that doesn't excuse the Lib Dem U turns on student fees, but it is a valid argument to say that, if you want a coalition you have to accept compromise - the bigger question is, does the electorate actually want coalition government (in general, not this one particularly) or does it prefer a system that is less representative of its wishes, but produces more certain government

That's an argument to not vote LD, not an argument to maintain a flawed system of voting.

Exactly.

The reason this got turned into a big issue for the Lib Dems was because Cameron thinks it will scupper the referendum on changing the voting system, hoping people see it as a policy of the back stabbing Lib Dems as they have more to gain from the change.

I am sure that this is the case as f it was just a point of getting the policy through then they could have done it different and got the same result.

Nicky babe does not, or did not, realise that this could have cost the change needed in this country.

I only hope people see this referendum for what it is and not use it to spit their dummy out with the Lib Dems over tuition fee's.

Archived