Red Lion @ Todwick

top4718

I'm not a fan of "chain" pubs but was invited to a birthday meal at the Red Lion which I believe is part of the Greene King empire.

We sat at our table, ordered our food at the bar as usual in these places, the mains then took an age to arrive, the food was ok (about the average standard for these type of pubs) although the portions were quite small.

There was not enough cutlery and no napkins on the table so we had to get them from an adjacent table.

After we had finished no one asked if we wanted desserts and the empty plates were left on the table (one of my pet hates).

Someone went to the bar to order desserts and two coffees, the desserts arrived before the empty plates had been cleared.

The two coffees were not brought to the table until asked for (by this time some of the party had to leave), the coffees came with no milk and even after we asked for some it took an age to brought to us by which time the people who had asked for the had to go.

I can stand the fact that you get average food in these places as you know what to expect before you go but the levels of service here were appaling.

I wont be going back.

It has never been any different. A meeting place for tuppenny hapenny millionaires. Poor food and rotten service. That's what happens when competition is vitually non-existent.

• 2 years later...

i wish i had read this thread before i took my family there on thursday night for my daughters birthday.where shall i start,the man who took our order did not know how to use the till or card machine so ordering took ages.our food did not arrive for 35 mins,when it did arrive all the meals were luke warm and very greasy.after complaining,our meals were warmed up in the microwave and the chef told us the food was greasy as the chips etc were cooked in a deep fat frier.our sweets then took a further 25 mins to arrive and my wifes fruit crumble tart turned out to be what looked like strawberry jam in a dish topped with a little bit of crumble and again it was luke warm.my wife wanted to complain again but i decided as we had prepaid for our meals (big mistake i know) and because of lack of response to our previous complaints,i would rather just leave. the food isn't even that cheap and the pub seems to think it has a good image but i have learnt from experience so be warned

Given a recent experience |I find this thread great!

I find it great as well. Recently added a review to Trip Advisor and the lousy trouts got it deleted. Went 14th December and never again. The service and food dire. Just do what we did. Cross off the money on the bill for what you don't want to pay for. It worked for us. Never will we return. We have given them the benefit of the doubt too much before.

Not quite true but you have to go back about 25 years to when it was excellent.

I remember it then, it was owned by Whitbread Special Ops who were responsible for The Red Lion, The Beauchief and The George at Hathersage who all had similar menus as well as Henry's and Hanharans

Archived