Should the army be brought in to control violent demonstrations

Yes, that's absolutely what I'm saying.

Rubber bullets have not been used on British citizens since the 70's, it's not something the British public are acclimatised to or would tolerate. When they were employed in Northern Ireland it stopped the riot, but did it stop rioting? Of course it didn't, the proliferation of support for the IRA and high levels of funding to NORAID were a direct result of 'civilians' being put under the cosh by the state..notwithstanding there were some wicked people within the civilian groups.

Ironically, I've no problem with the government's proposals on tuition fees and I say that as a parent whose children will have to pay the higher fees, but I would have a problem if the state took to extreme action to contain demonstrators.

but the police have rubber bullets in their arsenal my friend and only need the order to use them

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/In+Britain...+police+get+rubber+bullets+to+face+the+rioters.-a074932111

but the police have rubber bullets in their arsenal my friend and only need the order to use them

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/In+Britain...+police+get+rubber+bullets+to+face+the+rioters.-a074932111

Yes, I know they do, they're not banned for use in the British Isles, but it would be a very brave and foolish home secretary who authorised their use.

The marvels of the army had the dispersal message written in the appropriate language !!!!

Psychologically signs are a waste of time IMO. There needs to be something more intimidating like bellowing voice over a megaphone and if that doesn't work, tear gas, water jets and as a third alternative rubber bullets. But shooting rioters, especially poor Chinese was a terrible out of date idea for the army to still hold to in the 20th century

Yes. Freedom of speech is overrated I say. Dissent? Squash it ruthlessly. The Nazis would have.

Its not about freedom of speech, its got more to do with i cant get my own way so i will break something. Like a naughty child, any attention is good attention what ever way it comes. The students will regret this last few weeks as they will now never be taken seriously again. They have ruined their credability now for a long time. Lets take this time to dwell on what you have achieved (nothing) and use the time to HAVE A SHOWER and think of alternative employment cos the criminal records that are winging there way to certain people has just cost them their future career.

HAPPY DAYS :thumbsup:

arent the army already busy doing the goverments durty work taking over other countries?

oh and snow moving up north :P

It would be ironic that one set of deceived citizens were deceived even more to fire on people who were rioting for being deceived..

Incidentally, does anyone know why the students thread was pulled. I'm not bothered,but have I missed summat..

Psychologically signs are a waste of time IMO. There needs to be something more intimidating like bellowing voice over a megaphone and if that doesn't work, tear gas, water jets and as a third alternative rubber bullets. But shooting rioters, especially poor Chinese was a terrible out of date idea for the army to still hold to in the 20th century

So you wouldn't want to try a little light classical music? Maybe an Italian operetta or perhaps a spot of G&S performed by the cast of Mamma Mia?

Seriously, why not? PsyOps aren't just about terrorising people.

If you want ten thousand teenagers to go home quietly the second act of a Mussorgsky's Boris Gundunov will be far more effective than a water cannon.

Archived