Should the army be brought in to control violent demonstrations

What would the criteria which would have to be met for the military to be brought in?

In reality, the military couldn't / shouldn't do any more than what the Police would / could / did. The only extra thing i've heard mentioned lately would be the use of water cannon.

The reason why I am even considering this is because the majority of London and surrounding areas was left without Police cover for the period of the event. Skeleton cover at stations, no Police on the beat, case work falling behind, etc.

As everyone has stated, let's not walk into a Police state, but let's not also let civil liberties take liberties!

Last week i'd describe as violent disorder! (To the peaceful demonstrators who were no where near a front line and walked away from any trouble that brewed, well done and I support you!)

The army would only be brought in if the police could not cope with the situation.

I don't think there is any prospect of that happening.

What is needed is for the NUS to disassociate its members from the anti government/establishment element who jumped on the back of their protest. In any future events the NUS stewards need to point out the agitators and those using the student protests for their own agenda to the police.

Yes thats it, maybe we could add some beans too :thumbsup:

Stopped crying yet babbie ;)

You're an idiot, if you think a valid reponse to the legal right to protest is to use a weapon with the potential to blind is perfectly fine you must be insane. I can guarantee if the police start using rubber bullets/water hoses protesters will ramp up their violence.

You're an idiot, if you think a valid reponse to the legal right to protest is to use a weapon with the potential to blind is perfectly fine you must be insane. I can guarantee if the police start using rubber bullets/water hoses protesters will ramp up their violence.

No, I'm an idiot because I think it will make for good telly.

Archived