Why capital D/G but lower case d/g?

Inspired - if that's the right word - by the square root of zero and pi = 4 threads - I've one for the linguistics people.

Why are the letters D/G when capitalised the other way from the lower case d/g?

No other letters in the alphabet behave the same - any reason why?

Inspired - if that's the right word - by the square root of zero and pi = 4 threads - I've one for the linguistics people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G

Not sure but I surmise from the link that G is formed from C and if you further down it says that g is believed to have come front the letter j

It does not say that as such but maybe its just 2 similar sounding letters that got formed into 1 ?

So G, = C, sounding 'Gee' And g, = j, sounding 'guh' ???

It'll do for me anyhow :D

Can you explain that more clearly?

lower case d, upper case D - how is it "the other way"?

Sorry for being dense.

If I understand correctly Longcol is referring to the position of the stem (the vertical stroke) of the letter on the left or right.

On an upper case D the stem is on the left but with lower case dthe stem is in the right

G and g work the same too.

Obviously some have central stems and descenders or bowls in differing places too.

But, I dunno. There are lots of ways of presenting type and not many hard and fast rules.

hard2miss's explanation works for me too... but tbh, I'm not really bothered...

i'm glad that D is the opposite way to d, and B is the same as b, because it helped me remember which of the lower case is which when I was younger (and on rare occasions still... lol).. ('b' being the same way as the upper case)

Archived