Do governments "listen" to peaceful protests?

Mass rambles worked. The recent student protests did not achieve their stated aim.

Or did you have agit-prop in mind to commit violence on people and property to illegally bring down a democratically elected and legal government?

Do you mean the mass trespass on Kinder scout? I think you will find that wasn't a peaceful affair either. People went to prison for that ramble.

Here are the Spinners celebrating that violent protest:

Or did you have agit-prop in mind to commit violence on people and property to illegally bring down a democratically elected and legal government?

A government has authority only so long as it is accountable.

The million people with SWP, CND and MAB banners marching through London before the Iraq war didn't care about any of that.

I pressume the people on the march were not the people that the march was meant to influence. To those of who were not on it and did not agree with the Iraq invaision but happened to be neither a communist, a unilateralist or an islamist it did rather make the march look like it was hijacked by narrow interest groups which we had no desire to be associated with. It didn't alter my view on the folly of the war but it certainly made me less likely to be vocal about it as i would not wish to be associated with any of those groups.

I pressume the people on the march were not the people that the march was meant to influence. To those of who were not on it and did not agree with the Iraq invaision but happened to be neither a communist, a unilateralist or an islamist it did rather make the march look like it was hijacked by narrow interest groups which we had no desire to be associated with. It didn't alter my view on the folly of the war but it certainly made me less likely to be vocal about it as i would not wish to be associated with any of those groups.

I would rather be associated with any of those groups than warmongers attacking a country on a pretext we all knew was false.

I totally disagree. We had a decade of a government who didn't give a damn about the voters because their poll rating were high enough to invade iraq, ban everything fun and introduce more new laws than any other government and still get re-elected.

The coalition parties both have taken a huge electoral gamble in taking on the task of government and will be acutely aware of the fact that reglardless of the fact that everyone knows the labour spendfest with borrowed money had to end it will be them that is blamed and 5 years will allow the public to forget just how awful blair and browns labour were.

This government is probably the most keenly aware of public opinion than any in decades, both partners have a lot to lose and very little to gain in taking the necessary tough decisions. The bottom line is we'd all have liked to have voted for "a government with coffers full of cash". Well thanks to brown that's not an option, so the coalition are doing what they think is the best with the debt laden mess they were left. I don't agree with all their decisions but I do believe they are sincerely trying to do the best for Britain and if labour supporters only contribution at a difficult time for the government is costly riots and no constructive alternatives then shame on them.

Well of course you would disagree you keep going on about the myth being sold to you about Labour over spending, when Labour spending only went above 40% when it bailed out the banks.

Labour is responsible for this crisis only in so far as it was and still is a part of a political neo-liberal consensus that values the market and banking above ethics and social planning.

Yes, really.

Your experience is obviously very different to mine (and many others)

I would rather be associated with any of those groups than warmongers attacking a country on a pretext we all knew was false.

It's not a case of your either for us or against us - just because someone doesn't want to be associated with SWP doesn't mean they are pro war. Personally I would rather be associated with a popular protest drawing support from across society than with a vocal minority who turn up at any protest to wave placards and shout loudly.

Your experience is obviously very different to mine (and many others)

It's not a case of your either for us or against us - just because someone doesn't want to be associated with SWP doesn't mean they are pro war. Personally I would rather be associated with a popular protest drawing support from across society than with a vocal minority who turn up at any protest to wave placards and shout loudly.

Shuffle away with your hands in your pockets mutely and perhaps a handmade banner if you can be bothered. So long as you are there that is what counts.

All I am saying is that in my experience most people appreciate organisation and want to get involved in some chanting, and banner waving.

I ask a question as relevent to your country as it is to mine. Who votes these oafs in? In America, some of us voted in a young Black man, with an attractive family, full of enthusiasm and hope. We threw out those pesky Republicans, and waited for him to sweep the country clean of anything Bush had created. It hasn't happened. Two years in, and the Elephants are back. Ask any body who they voted for, and it wasnt for him.

You have struggled for years with your Labour Government. Even Sheffield, of all places, was eager to get rid of them. I have read so many bad things about the Iron Lady that I wouldn't have thought it possible that a single Sheffielder would elect a member of Cameron's club or his liberal clone, the king of Hallamshire.

I'd rather not be associated with either, that's why I neither went on the march or voted labour. :)

The million people on the streets may not have stopped the war, but it did a lot more than staying at home and grumbling to your TV, or on a forum or whatever you did.

Archived