Ideas needed..fundraising

Hi all,

I'm new here, so please be gentle! I do a lot of fund-raising at my university so thought I'd contribute.

At uni, we've come up with a 'matched betting syndicate', whereby we have 8 of us who all do matched betting and put all or profits together as part of the Raise and Give campaign.

Before anyone says anything - we're not encouraging gambling. In fact, we got the idea from the Daily Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/8185280/Is-this-a-bet-you-cant-lose.html

It's unusual, I know, but it's great because my fellow students who can't afford to give to charity, can.

Since this is about awareness as well, if you had a well designed website with guidelines and tips to a safer household (maybe even some little games for raising kids awareness, printable quiz's or playable flash ones). Then ask for your web address to be put on fire brigade literature, any council and community newsletters, etc.

Then make sure you have big donate buttons, one for a single donation and another for a recurring donation.

TBH this would probably need to be set up as a charity, but a well worth one!

Prevention is better than the cure!

Much still needs to be done to help reduce such accidents. The victims of house fires lose all their material things through fire, smoke and water damage, hardly anything is recoverable. losing a life is unimaginable.

The fire brigade are always advertising about smoke alarms and the fact that they should be kept working and tested.

One idea I had is to set up a smoke alarm testing service that is easy to equip and charge people from £1 per smoke alarm tested with a battery test and replacement if needed. Most fire stations provide them fitted free of charge so you could recommend they contact their local fire station if new ones are required.

• 1 month later...
Much still needs to be done to help reduce such accidents. The victims of house fires lose all their material things through fire, smoke and water damage, hardly anything is recoverable. losing a life is unimaginable.

The fire brigade are always advertising about smoke alarms and the fact that they should be kept working and tested.

One idea I had is to set up a smoke alarm testing service that is easy to equip and charge people from £1 per smoke alarm tested with a battery test and replacement if needed. Most fire stations provide them fitted free of charge so you could recommend they contact their local fire station if new ones are required.

It's a good idea - and I'm not knocking it, but people should really learn to do it out of weekly routine.

Archived