The Salary Dispute !

Just after other people's thoughts on the following.

Does anyone out there believe that plumbers should make an annual salary that exceeds that of a police officer, fireman, solider, nurse, paramedic etc.

I was charged £110 for 2 hours labour, £55 an hour, then obviously got charged extra for the parts.

Only give plumbers as an example as Ive had to ring one recently, but there are countless other occupations that bleed you dry.

So what do people think? Am I being unreasonable in saying such jobs as police, fire, nurses, soliders shouldnt be paid as well as some of these 'skilled' occupations?

I think to be honest that with trade people their income can be so irregular that the hourly rate by necessity has to be high. You have calculated an hourly rate of £55 based on the 2 hours work you got .......but if that is the only work they have had today in actuality the hourly rate is more £110/8 = £13.75 an hour.

and there speaks someone who has recently been paying plumbers. electicians, plasterers, joiners and the like - so have felt these costs too!

I wasn't asking for a break down on hourly rates etc guys and to say their price fluctuates depending on how much work someone has is ridiculous.

The question was should these people (including giving free quotes, driving to collect a part etc) should earn more than our emergency services, soliders etc?

Q : Why should footballers get paid so much too.

A : Because thats the business that they are in. Thats what they want to do, and thats what their good at.

I work in retail and to be honest its not paid great, but i enjoy what i do. If i want more money i could work for a call centre or work at Bassetts sorting mints for more then i'm on now. Thats not my kind of work, but some one else may enjoy it.

Q : Why should footballers get paid so much too.

A : Because thats the business that they are in. Thats what they want to do, and thats what their good at.

I work in retail and to be honest its not paid great, but i enjoy what i do. If i want more money i could work for a call centre or work at Bassetts sorting mints for more then i'm on now. Thats not my kind of work, but some one else may enjoy it.

Sorry, have I missed the point there?

It doesn't matter if you think its fair or not, it is based on market forces.

If there aren't a lot of plumbers, but there is a lot of work, then prices will be high.

If you think every wage should be set by a grand council judging on merits, skills and needs, i'm afraid you are in the wrong country, best to go to a communist state.

If you can't beat 'em, join them.

It doesn't matter if you think its fair or not, it is based on market forces.

If there aren't a lot of plumbers, but there is a lot of work, then prices will be high.

If you think every wage should be set by a grand council judging on merits, skills and needs, i'm afraid you are in the wrong country, best to go to a communist state.

If you can't beat 'em, join them.

Why is no one answering the question I asked??

And why shouldn't they earn more than the services you mention(excluding a soldier who should earn lots more)..the ones you mention have extremely good secure jobs,it always seems the ones who are not afraid to get dirty and work hard for a living should be paid less than those that don't.......and they do not get a salary,hourly pay means just that ..if your not there you don't get owt....i am not a plumber either and also think they charge high rates...but...if not happy do as i do...DIY....i had a leak in c/heating pipe in loft.....cut the leaky bit out,piece of copper pipe two joints,job done...overall cost..£3.20p

Archived