The Salary Dispute !

I wasn't asking for a break down on hourly rates etc guys and to say their price fluctuates depending on how much work someone has is ridiculous.

The question was should these people (including giving free quotes, driving to collect a part etc) should earn more than our emergency services, soliders etc?

Who says they do?

Does anyone out there believe that plumbers should make an annual salary that exceeds that of a police officer, fireman, solider, nurse, paramedic etc?

I don't think that many do, but like any business if they can manage it, well done to them. Nobody stops firemen from quitting and taking up plumbing.

people seem to forget that the 'labour' charge per hour for a tradesman is not what goes into his/her back pocket, employees are on a hourly rate ( and perhaps a tool allowance) and the self employed are meeting all the costs of the business from that labour rate (except the charged for parts)...

also while you might be charged for parts you aren't charged for solder and PTFE tape by the millimetre nor for other consumable items etc ...

it's apples and oranges, Police officers, operational firefighters and ambulance staff are issued all their uniform and most nurses are issued uniform but are expected to provide their own footwear ... and other than that the other 'must have' equipment and supplies is supplied ( although most people buy better pens than the cheapest fake bic stics that the stationery catalogue lists ...)

Interesting comments, I do believe it boils down to government charges etc. But people imagine a privatised police force? If plumbers charge the amount they do imagine how much police would charge. Ringing up for quotes etc 'no burglary to small, ring 999 for a quote!

As for fireman and running into burning buildings, whether they don't do it all the time or not there is always the chance the call will come. And when it does no public sector worker can turn round and say 'I'm not bothered about that job'

I just think jobs where you have to put your life on the line should be rewarded appropriately!

As zippy pointed out, you're making a gross assumption about their take home pay.

Unless they're running a business with several employees (which would make them a manager and businessman with the extra responsibility that entails), most probably don't earn more than the other services you mentioned. Out of their hourly rate they have to pay for their vehicle, the maintenance, the running costs, the business rates, liability insurance, the list goes on. As a self employed contractor they have significant costs that aren't charged directly to the customer so taking their charge out rate as an hourly salary is a massive misinterpretation.

A quick google reveals, that in one area,an average ambulance call out is £244 and occupying a bed in an acute hospital is £569 per day. A hoax call to the fire service costs up to £500. So, based on the OP's method of calculating salaries, the staff here would be doing ok...:suspect:

Does anyone out there believe that plumbers should make an annual salary that exceeds that of a police officer, fireman, solider, nurse, paramedic etc?

I only know one fireman...and he is also a joiner. When he is on night shift at the fire station, he sleeps most of the night, and manages to get in joinery jobs during the day. I don't feel too sorry for him.

i think solicitors are really overpaid, when my dad passed away and didnt leave a will i had to get a certificate from a solicitor to prove i was the person sorting out his fianances. i got various prices ranging from £350 to £650 plus vat. i eventually got the papers myself, which took me to me 20 minutes to fill in and cost me £90. Bit of a difference eh. For solicitors they should be put under sharks or rip off merchants in the yellow pages telephone directory

Archived