Martial Arts - What do you do?

Good debate Guys,

the point on jiu-jitsu is good but their is also Brazilian Jiu-jitsu which has come to the fore front. i am a black belt in traditional Jiu-jitsu and graded directly under Roce Gracie of UFC fame in brazilian Jiu-jitsu. I have just started an adult club in Dronfield if your interested.

For who Royce is please see the internet - he won 3 of the first no rules UFC events.

The cool thing about Royces way of teaching is that the first principle is that your don't get injured while training what ever your fitness level. I am not a Royce Gracie club but I do use his principles.

After 20 years in Martial Arts I had never come across anything like it.

Originally posted by jitsu_brasil

We do teach BJJ, I said its not a Gracie Club. Have you trained with Royce ?

no, i just wondered what exactly you meant by having trained with him. It's easy to go to someones seminar once.

If you teach BJJ what belt do you hold (in BJJ not JJ)?

I know what you mean about just attending someones seminar. I train individually with Royce a few times a year privately either in the UK or in Los Angeles. Last time was in February this year and next time in April then July.

I have a Blue Belt from Royce. I have a black belt in traditional Jiu-jitsu and a brown belt in Karate - Shotokan.

For me its the fun and enjoyment of learning. I don't so much as teach but share what I know and hope the person I am training with will do the same for me.

• 4 months later...
Originally posted by ANVIL

Not exactly Sheffield, but Dave Turton, who has taught Geoff Thompson (along with other martial arts 'names' such as Kevin O' Hagan, Jamie O'Keefe, Andy Crittenden, etc.), has a club in Thrybergh, Rotherham (Oldgate Lane).

He teaches a mix that includes Goshinkwai, boxing, savate, greco-roman wrestling and such exotic arts as lancashire catch wrestling!

i believe one of his students is also teaching in sheffield, somewhere around the Manor, but i'm not certain where

i think two of Dave Turton's students are teaching at Waltheof, and I believe Dave makes a fortnightly appearance there.

• 1 year later...
Dear curvta 1

Have you tried or heard of the karate style Goju-Ryu? Apparently this is one of the original forms of karate from Okinawa, the birthplace of Karate

I'm told. Developed from Kung -Fu ,I believe. Ther's a very good club on

Derbyshire Lane, Norton, that might be worth a visit.

I believe the very wise and mystical mr miagi hails from okinawa.

I do kickboxing.

The system i practise is I believe one of the best all round systems of stand up fighting.

Our system is good for the ring under most contact sport systems and also good for self defence where it matters most and the stakes are higher so to speak.

A large proportion of the practitioners of my system take it up for a fitness work out with self defense thrown in.

We train at Wellington Street Boxing Gym in the town centre and also have classes at Sheffield Hallam university(Collegiate Crescent campus) and also at Goodwin Sports centre on Northumberland Road.

Beginners classes at Wellington street:

MONDAY 830-930PM

THURSDAY 830-930PM

SUNDAY 12-130PM

WOMENS ONLY CLASS = 730-830PM

PRIVATE LESSONS ALSO AVAILABLE BY APPOINTMENT

RING 07775 914155

Archived