Martial Arts - What do you do?

I did my bouncer training course wih him.

He may not remember me... the name is ************.

I actually meant to go and train with him at Bramall Lane, but never got around to it.

Will have to pop down! Does he deffo not train doen bramall lane anymore then?

hello one and all if anyone can help it would be appreciated! iam looking to do some form of martial art, as iam already quite active and fit i would like to toughen up a little can anybody recommend any particular style (i hear kung-fu is good) iam looking around eccleshall rd/brammal lane area. cheers

• 2 months later...

there are some excellent taekwondo clubs around sheffield under the BTCB official governing body(wtf olympic style).they are pilsung taekwondo, chief instructor andrew hill 4th dan.

there over 200 members in clubs around sheffield of all ages and skill levels,some are british and european medalists.

the club is very friendly and welcome everyone.

venues all around sheffield.

check out http://www.pilsung.freeserve.co.uk

• 3 months later...

I have trained at Pilsung Clubs in and around Sheffield for about 3years. This club is very welcoming and friendly. There are over 200 members & 40+ black belts. This club is geared towards sport taekwondo (Fighting-like the kind you see at the olyimpics) and recently 3 students took part in the GB cup with 2 students getting 4th place in the 1 in the Female Senior 45kg+ devision, and another in the Junior male division. The last student got a silver medal in the Male Senior 80kg+ devision. This shows that Instructors have a great teaching ability and the Students here are eager to do well. For more info visit the Pilsung Website

I'm a fifth dan in Karate (Wado Ryu) and am desperately looking for a suitable dojo in Yorkshire - willing to travel to find a sufficiently senior sensei.

On the topic of best martial art for self-defence, I've always found aikido superb in handling close-quarters situations, but DaBouncer is right to point out that a more "pro-active" style is a useful add-on. Aikido is a complete defensive system, but does take a long time to become good at. Karate is perhaps a little too rigid and strength-based for self-defence. Muay Thai is too much like overkill, in my opinion, for self-defence purposes. Instead, I'd recommend ju-jitsu, particularly the brazilian style, as it has a nice balance of throws, locks and offensive manoeuvers.

Originally posted by Jack Yerbody

Muay Thai is too much like overkill, in my opinion, for self-defence purposes.

Why do you say that? Just interested....

I'm doing Ju-Jitsu and Muay Thai - sort of contratdictory styles but like them both, though only at the bottom of the ladder....

Originally posted by Mike

Why do you say that? Just interested....

I'm doing Ju-Jitsu and Muay Thai - sort of contratdictory styles but like them both, though only at the bottom of the ladder....

Whilst the Muay Thai exponents I've known have always been incredibly flexible and skilled, I find the style encourages a string of vicious, indiscriminate attacks in order to debilitate one's opponent. If you're looking for self-defence training, learning how to kick the s*** out of someone isn't, in my opinion, the way to go about it - sooner or later, you'll run into someone who can take several kicks to the head without much concern..

I much prefer ju-jitsu, as it's a more "complete" a system of defence, with locks, strikes and holds all combining to provide a useful defence to most attacks.

That said, I'm still most qualified in karate - and put me against a Muay Thai exponent of similar years and I guarantee he'll be in a worse position than I.

Whilst the Muay Thai exponents I've known have always been incredibly flexible and skilled, I find the style encourages a string of vicious, indiscriminate attacks in order to debilitate one's opponent. If you're looking for self-defence training, learning how to kick the s*** out of someone isn't, in my opinion, the way to go about it - sooner or later, you'll run into someone who can take several kicks to the head without much concern..

I think then it's time for a bit of fast running :)

I much prefer ju-jitsu, as it's a more "complete" a system of defence, with locks, strikes and holds all combining to provide a useful defence to most attacks.

I think JJ is great, but I can see it taking many years before it's useful in the heat of the moment because it's so technical.

That said, I'm still most qualified in karate - and put me against a Muay Thai exponent of similar years and I guarantee he'll be in a worse position than I.

Of course, a seasoned MT person would say that about a Karate person ;)

Archived