Martial Arts - What do you do?

For self-defence purposes I'd advise against it. By its very nature, grappling brings you as close to your opponent as you can be, which is the complete opposite of what you want to be doing, i.e. running away. If running away isn't an option, you're best off dealing with your attacker quickly and effectively, in a manner which minimises the risk to yourself. Wrestling doesn't do that.

Originally posted by Jack Yerbody

For self-defence purposes I'd advise against it. By its very nature, grappling brings you as close to your opponent as you can be, which is the complete opposite of what you want to be doing, i.e. running away. If running away isn't an option, you're best off dealing with your attacker quickly and effectively, in a manner which minimises the risk to yourself. Wrestling doesn't do that.

No form of self defence is going to keep you away from an agressor. Running always a primary consideration. I work to my strengths for what suits my frame, which happens to be grappling. Most confrontations end up grappling eventually. I've found some experience gained from Greco wrestling very effective in real life situations. The essentials are basic but practical.

I think it makes sense to add grappling to your skillset as it will give you the ability to fight if the fight goes to the floor. I intend to do some grappling in the future, but not at the moment as I don't have the time for 3 different styles at once!

Probably go for Brazilian Ju-Jitsu as there's a good place nearish where I live.

Originally posted by Mike

Think the Muay Thai looks after kicking people hard well enough.

I just think eventually it'd be nice to learn how to grapple as well, but I'm talking a long way down the line....

Andy Marlow teaches a mixed Muay Thai, boxing and grappling style. He's got a gym at woodseats.

That's handy to know - a mate of mine was at a boxing gym in Woodseats for a while but apparantly it closed down - is this a different place?

I do really like the Wicker Camp though - great atmosphere.

Archived