Martial Arts - What do you do?

Cheers Crimbo, I'll bear that in mind....

This part of the forum is getting quite MA heavy, isn't it?!

Anyway, just a quick plug to the Wicker Camp Muay Thai gym - they're holding an open day on Sunday (7th) with all proceeds going to St Luke's Hospice.

Entry fee is £8 for adults, less for nippers. There will be around 15 fights with fighters from visiting gyms, and also other things like an equipment shop, etc. Open from 12, kickoff at 1pm.

fao dabouncer how is marcelo?he ran a capoiera class in sheffield for a while but i think that closed down and i couldnt make it to rotherham.

have you never thought about doing budo taijutsu?

i have studied wing chun, lau gar, muay thai, karate, jkd and i have found taijutsu is so much the best.

one of my friends studied wing chun for 8 years and muay thai and ju-jutsu, (he came third in the british championships) but he has gone back to wing chun as he has seen the openings that these martial arts have, he is coming to check out our class and we don't grade really, its not about the money its not about the grade its about learning.

all martial arts have some thing to offer, if you know what to look for, and if you know what you want, if its keep fit do, tae bo,if its to fight (only in self defence) LOL

then you need some thing where they train hard and make impact on pads or bags, you have to be able to handle any range you find yourself in, during the fight, so you need to know how to punch,kick, grapple, and defend against the knife,and other weapons.

and you need to stay a white belt that way you will learn.

21 years as a white belt lol, i'm still looking for the perfect art but i know i wont find it

train hard,train safe BUT MAKE SURE YOU TRAIN

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Jack Yerbody

I'm a fifth dan in Karate (Wado Ryu) and am desperately looking for a suitable dojo in Yorkshire - willing to travel to find a sufficiently senior sensei. On the topic of best martial art for self-defence, I've always found aikido superb in handling close-quarters situations, but

The thread below mentions Martin - he is 4th dan Karate (Wado Ryu I think) and 2nd dan Aikido - he should know where you can train in Sheffield.

RMJ Atkinson

http://www.angelfire.com/mac/aikido/

-----------------------

APPEALING to all martial artists in the sheffield area

hi my name is greg and i am currently training in Aikido. our club ran by Steve Walker and Martin Wilson has just moved to the new English Institute of Sport (between Don Valley Stadium and the Arena) and were are desperatly short of members. at thsi point in time we have just 4 regular members and we are calling at you to come down for a night and try out training with Aikido as we are so short in numbers

the times are thursday at 7pm til 8pm

Tel Steve for more infomation on

01246 853897

07799608356 (mob)

thankyou in advance greg.

i study as i have mentioned before taijutsu, now this is a system of nine schools (ryus, jutsu's) one of our schools is the gyokko ryu koppijutsu which is where most of the japanese arts have thier origins.

something i found interesting at a seminar in kukishinden ryu last weekend was the fact that karate punchs are the way they are because of when the british american french all of the aliens went to japan and changed the way of walking, which is why you have the reverse punch and the entire way of moving. it is hard to explain in writing, lol. but it was great.

Originally posted by steelblade

Sorry to hijack the thread but I really need some advice.

My little brother is 9 years old and severely lacking in self esteem and self confidence. It's very boring for him where we live because there are no kids his age to play with so every night he's sat in watching tv which really isn't healthy for a young lad of his age.

He's also been very naughty latley which I think is down to his parents getting divorced.

Anyhow I need to find something for him to do, a place where he can make new pals, gain much needed confidence and a form of self defence. I was thinking of boxing but I think he'd prefer a martial art.

We live in Stannington so a class anywhere around there would be good, hilsborough would be ideal.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Dunno if they still do, but back in the day they used to have Karate lessons on Saturday mornings at the Pinegrove.

That's where I first started back "when I were a lad" probably around 89/90.

Originally posted by tombodojoj

fao dabouncer how is marcelo?he ran a capoiera class in sheffield for a while but i think that closed down and i couldnt make it to rotherham.

have you never thought about doing budo taijutsu?

i have studied wing chun, lau gar, muay thai, karate, jkd and i have found taijutsu is so much the best.

one of my friends studied wing chun for 8 years and muay thai and ju-jutsu, (he came third in the british championships) but he has gone back to wing chun as he has seen the openings that these martial arts have, he is coming to check out our class and we don't grade really, its not about the money its not about the grade its about learning.

Sorry for the late reply... only just seen this post.

I haven't seen marcelo for ages now.

I dropped out of the class when I changed jobs and working pattern. However I am planning to go back soon.

He was fine last time I saw him; still training hard.

The art I wouldn't say is the most effective for self defence, but it's sooooooooo much fun to learn and it gets you so fit. Probably fitter than thai boxing.

• 1 month later...

This is as a result of a post earlier,

to all martial artists out there

what martial art do you Train?

how long have you been training?

what else have you done?

why do you train in the art that you train in?

i know its a lot but this could be fun

i will put mine on in a while thank you.

Archived