PETROL: All time high

The goverment should ban all cars over five years old, this way we have lots of use car to export to third country and have more money coming to uk, The newer car will be lot more enviroment friendly, The new car market will be brooming making more money for goverment to waste,

Nice if you've got the money to fund a new car.

The goverment should ban all cars over five years old, this way we have lots of use car to export to third country and have more money coming to uk, The newer car will be lot more enviroment friendly, The new car market will be brooming making more money for goverment to waste,

What a load of twaddle.

You do realise the amount or energy expended in building a new car (and in most cases transporting it half way around the world)?

What we should do is forget all the greenwash being forced upon us as a way to raise taxes and plug the hole in government finances.

We make about 2% of the worlds produced cars in the uk(year 2006) its probably less now. If we were to export cars and replace them we would probably end up with a massive trade deficit, we just don't make enough cars.

http://www.worldometers.info/cars/

Can see where you are coming from danny11 and it would push our industry to the max if we built British cars for a British market.

We could make all mums and dads doing the school run drive an Airpod car!

Or better still do what I did in my day and actually use your legs.

We make about 2% of the worlds produced cars in the uk(year 2006) its probably less now. If we were to export cars and replace them we would probably end up with a massive trade deficit, we just don't make enough cars.

http://www.worldometers.info/cars/

Can see where you are coming from danny11 and it would push our industry to the max if we built British cars for a British market.

We could make all mums and dads doing the school run drive an Airpod car!

Or better still do what I did in my day and actually use your legs.

We should start up a british company making a simple car, this way we will create thousands of job and keep britain moving instead of relaying on foreign car manufacturer, Surely a cheap small diesel selling for £7000 is within reach of the lower class, we might even start to export again and make some money

We should start up a british company making a simple car, this way we will create thousands of job and keep britain moving instead of relaying on foreign car manufacturer, Surely a cheap small diesel selling for £7000 is within reach of the lower class, we might even start to export again and make some money

You mean like Gordon Murray and his T25 project.

Doesn't make sense. Are you saying the "lower class" can afford a £7000 car? How? And why should we be forced to buy new cars every 5 years? The fuel efficiency in cars, based on the past few decades, hasn't increased that exponentially each 5 years. One British company selling cars for the British wouldn't change a thing.

It's been done before, they all failed. You might not be old enough to remember British cars, but most people are glad they don't have to drive one.

Other countries are better at making cars than us, we should concentrate on doing what we're best at.

I think you are exactly right Harleyman,by the way i myself am "doodling" with a Hybrid i bought a couple of months ago...excellent car....just as a comparison,when i first started work in 1964 at 15 yrs old a packet of cigs 20 John Players was 4s/11d (25p) about the same price as a gallon of petrol,i remember this as i bought my first motorcycle when i turned 16 same year and i was not earning enough per hour to pay for either...probably had to work 2 hours....as i no longer smoke not sure of cigs price but they must still both be equal/around same price, and when working i could have easily paid for both working one hour or less,...as i said just a comparison over the years...paraffin for the greenhouse heater is even more expensive??? :D

How long is the warranty on the battery? The car could be six or seven years old but the battery might need to be replaced. I've heard that a replacement battery for a Prious could be as high as 3 or 4 thousand dollars -in the US anyway. Expensive in the UK also I'm sure

I'm speaking from the point of view of someone who prefers to keep a car for around ten to twelve years which is longer than most people keep theirs in my part of the world. I do all my own maintenance and keep the car looking like new.

In my case a hybrid battery failing after 6 or 7 years and having to buy a new one would be a big expense and not a good investment to put into an aging car

It creates a lot more emissions etc to manufacture a new car and drive it for five years than it does to keep your five-year-old car and run it for another five.

How long is the warranty on the battery? The car could be six or seven years old but the battery might need to be replaced. I've heard that a replacement battery for a Prious could be as high as 3 or 4 thousand dollars -in the US anyway. Expensive in the UK also I'm sureI'm speaking from the point of view of someone who prefers to keep a car for around ten to twelve years which is longer than most people keep theirs in my part of the world. I do all my own maintenance and keep the car looking like new.

In my case a hybrid battery failing after 6 or 7 years and having to buy a new one would be a big expense and not a good investment to put into an aging car

The warranty on the Honda hybrid battery is eight years/100,000miles

Archived